Thursday, December 11, 2008

Good News From Thailand

No, not ours. But we found out another couple adopting from Thailand just got their daughter. I have been staying off blog land for a few days, but Jeff read it and ran down to the kitchen this morning to say "Read their blog! They got their daughter!" It was really sweet. And it's amazing how much it means to know a couple we have never met finally got their girl. Love conquers all. A child finally gets her forever family. It gives us hope and shows us the light at the end of the tunnel. We WILL all get our happy ending. It just takes time, love, dedication, faith, and that dreaded word: PATIENCE. But it WILL happen.  In the meantime, staying busy!

Still cooking and  cleaning. The new blinds are up (thanks to Jeff) and the curtains washed and hung. Safety proofing the house this week. Ordered cord keepers and misc gadgets and going to look at safety gates today. Thinking of washing some of Ruby's clothes and diapers. Yes, I know it is early yet, but what the heck? Washing and folding her little PJ's will bring me some comfort. It is at least something I can do for her as I sit here feeling helpless. 

Cooking like mad, too. Yesterday I made a spring minestrone soup from a cookbook my friend, Muk, got me for my birthday. It's a wonderful book called Super Natural Cooking. by Heidi Swanson. It turned out really good and I'm even thinking it may be something the baby will like.  It's made with vegetable stock, brown rice, sweet peas, sugar peas, and asparagus. May leave out the last 2 and add in tiny bits of carrots when I make it for our daughter.

Anyway, I made a pan of lasagna (my first ever) and it didn't turn out half bad. I had a taste of it but saved it for dinner tonight (ha - and the rest of the week. There is a lot of it!) For dinner I made poached salmon with a cucumber yogurt dill sauce and steamed carrots. Jeff is loving my new-found stress reliever and has enjoyed all the dishes, so far. Of course, he is easy to please. When we first met my cooking skills were non-existent. I remember how happy he was the first time I made him a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup (a comfort food staple where I grew up). He just smiled and said "you make a MEAN grilled cheese, honey!" How cute is he? If I didn't already know it, I sure knew I would marry him then! :-)

6 comments:

Whatshername's Mummy said...

It will happen, I remember waiting for referral - the worry, uncertainty and doubt that it would happen, everyone goes through it, it's the stage of intercountry adoption that makes you even more grateful for your child.
Remember to take care of yourselves in this final stage, try not to put life on hold and relish the selfish things of adult life that will be tricky with a child!
Kate
(and please remind me of most of the above in about 18 months time when it might be nearly my turn!x)

Carey and Norman said...

I was hoping to see news on your end. We too were excited to see that the other family was able to meet their daughter.

I laughed at your cooking. I think it is good to find things to keep you busy. It is easier to try new recipes when you have time to carefully read the directions. You'll learn with kids you will make mistakes b/c you miss a key ingredient. Ha.

Whatshername's Mummy said...

Please point me in the direction of the family who've recently adopted a daughter from Thailand - if it's a public blog!
Thanks,
Kate

rosemary said...

Glad to hear someone is holding a new baby today. Your lasagna sounds so good right now. I love pasta (crave it constantly). I hope that wonderful distractions comes your way!

JiLL said...

yes, cooking is a great stress reliever. My problems is I love to cook, just to cook and I have lots of food left over and no one to eat it, lol.
When you finally have your daugther in your arms the wait won't seem so long. I hear from other parents that you forget all the headache and worrying you do while waiting once you see your child's face. Kinda like giving birth, moms forget the physical pain they went through with their first child, and yet have more kids.
Keep cooking away!

Wyndee said...

Hang in there! Your good news will happen too!!!! Take it from experience, once Ruby is in your arms then all of this stress of waiting will soon be forgotten.

Wyndee