Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Build-A-Birthday


I went to the mall today to get something for my daughter's birthday. I had an idea of what I wanted, but this turned out SO much cuter than my original plan! The bear has this cute hot pink flower pattern on it - it's called the Spring Hug Bear - so I chose just a soft, pink fuzzy bath robe for it to wear. It's hard not to be with her for her birthday, but instead of sulking about it I am shipping myself to Thailand via Build-A-Bear!

A friend told me you could record a message inside the bear and I just LOVED this idea! But with only 10 seconds to record and a zillion things I wanted to say or sing....well, I did what any one would do in my situation. I bought 4! No, not 4 bears. (Although you know I would if I thought they would actually let me!) Wacap is going to deliver packages to the orphanages on their trip and said I could send ONE small gift. Well, this is small-ish, right? Anyway, I bought 4 RECORDERS and had them put one in each hand (paw) and one in each foot! Here are the little gizmos below as I had them sprawled out while trying to decide what to say and how to say it in 10 seconds or less!

Jeff is out of town this week so I was on my own. After trial and error and tossing it around a bit, I recorded the following:

Right Paw:  Sang the Happy Birthday song.
Left Paw:  Said a Thai message that went..."Sawadee ka! Paw kup Mae rak luke mak!"
(It means Hi! Dad and Mom love you very much!) I had my friend Muk on the phone with me while recording it to check for accuracy!)
Right foot: I giggled...for like, the whole 10 seconds. Felt silly, but I wanted to do something fun. I think she will like it! (yea, add that to the list of strange new habits...giggling into Build-A-Bears!)
Left foot: Sang 1st verse of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

So while I am planted at home until the magical call arrives, my voice and photo (of Jeff & I together) leave for Thailand via Seattle, through Wacap's office. Oh, and my scent too! Going to take a nice lightly scented bubble bath in the stuff I bought for Ruby (California Baby) and sleep with it tonight. Hope I don't roll over in the middle of the night and wake up to...Sawadee ka! Paw kup Mae Rak Luke Mak!  :-)
So here's our Ruby Kate's 2nd birthday present all dressed in bows and ready to go! Safe travels, little bear. My heart is going with you, too!

8 comments:

rosemary said...

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl!

Mireille said...

Oh Jen, it brought tears to my eyes. I can feel the love and dedication you have put into those 4 recorded messages!! Ruby will LOVE it!!

Ellie said...

Oh, Jen! I'm sure your heart is going with that little bear! So sweet!!

That's wonderful, that you recorded so many little snippets! I'm afraid if I sang into one of those recorders, I'd scar poor Lily for life! :)

When Eric and I recorded our message for Lily, when we sent our first package, we tried to go off to a corner of the store, so we could have a quiet moment to make our message. The music was incredibly loud, and it was in the background of the recording. So, we decided to slip into the restroom to make our message. Firstly, we felt silly going into the restroom together. Secondly, the restroom had a horrible odor from the previous occupant! We burst out laughing, and there was NO WAY we were gonna be able to record a sweet message for our baby in that nasty place!! We went back out, and after several more attempts, we had our message. :)

Ruby's gonna love her pretty pink bear!
Love ya!
ellie

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday Ruby! And Godspeed little bear as he travels. I love the idea of a recording in each limb. How can she not love it? (I was wondering if you should attach a little note instructing to push each arm/leg since I think most bears only have one recording)(or maybe you already did!).

Wyndee said...

That's just awesome! What a fantastic idea and HOW SWEET!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks everyone! I just love it too! So happy I can do something for her since I can't be there. Her birthday isn't for a few more weeks but Wacap leaves next week so I had to get something to them now.

Little Spring Hug Bear is all wrapped in a gigantic zip lock and headed to the post office!

Chris and Terri said...

Awe Jen - it's a wonderful idea and a beautiful bear. Ruby Kate Mod will love it! We have the same thing planned 4 buttons and I can't wait to build that little bear!!!

Carey and Norman said...

Love, love, love the bear and the sayings/giggles you recorded. How sweet...she'll love it too!

How fun that WACAP will be visiting her soon!