Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Very Special Day

Today I am meeting my brother for the first time. My mother had a child long ago and the choice was made by her parents to give the child up for adoption. She told me about him when I was a pre-teen and I've always wondered about him. Mom had a huge, hole in her heart all these years not knowing where he is, how he is, etc.  Recently they found each other. This is her whole life's dream come true. It is the dream she dared to dream but wasn't sure would ever happen and yet TODAY she is going to meet him! We all are! 

It's an interesting dynamic as we are about to be new parents through the gift of adoption. It has really given us a full perspective. We hope to be able to find out something about Ruby's birthmother so that she can be united with her some day. We realize more than ever, how very important that is. Thing is, I don't know if we will be able to get much info on her. But I do know we are going to try.

For today, we are excited.  Not only did we find out we have a brother and he is this really nice guy but here he lives only 10-15 minutes from myself and my brother Jason! How ironic is that? It's all so uncanny and we have laughed at the many parallels in our lives. We have all gotten to know each other by phone and email over the last month. It's really cool cause it broke the ice and we have already found we have so things in common. Mom is just beside herself. Happy and excited and a bit emotional, too. My brother Jason is having a big 5 course dinner for us all today. I am bringing a salad and side dish while my new brother John is going to make cheese strudel - Mom's favorite dessert. I laughed when they told me this. I was like, MOM, you couldn't have picked an easier favorite dessert to tell him? Well, John is a sweetheart and was happy to give it a go. Evidently, he is pretty good in the kitchen!

Will share more of our reunion later. Have a great weekend everybody! I know we sure will!

6 comments:

Kam said...

Oh Jen, how special! I hope you all have a sweet and wonderful day! What a week you are having!
Love and hugs~

Ellie said...

So happy for the whole family! Can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

Glen and Andrea said...

All the best for such a special day!

Megan said...

How exciting, Jen! Looking forward to hearing about it! We were told when in Thailand that our son could get the info on birth parents to meet them, etc...when he turns 18. It seems the DSDW keeps that info in their files!
We thought that was awesome news!

Mireille said...

What a full circle moment this is! Enjoy this special time in your lives. Wow I can't wait to hear more about your 'new' brother John!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks everyone and thanks Megan for that info. I sure hope they do keep the info. That is terrific!