Sunday, March 2, 2008

I Left My Heart In Bangkok, Thailand

Okay, it doesn't have the same ring as the Tony Bennett number, "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" but it sure does ring true in our hearts. I first went to Thailand in 2003. I had the great opportunity to live and work there a few months at a time, 3 years in a row. I am a jazz singer (using the stage name of "Maci Miller") and performed at the Mandarin Oriental's famous Bamboo Bar. A dream gig, but more than that, an amazing experience overall. I fell in love with the people, the culture, the food. All of it really. My husband came to visit me and he felt the same way, too.  I would almost feel "homesick" when I returned. In a way I couldn't quite understand. Now I do. We were meant to go back and be a part of this special place. It would end up being intricately connected to our lives in a way we couldn't know back then. The next time we visit Thailand we will be bringing home a daughter. Doesn't the Universe work in mysterious ways?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
We left our hearts in Thailand as well, so we know how you feel! We are a Dutch couple who used to live in Thailand and now in the USA. But moving soon to South Africa. We find that Thailand is a very special country. Of all the places we have lived and seen, Thailand is magical. Even more to us now, since we've adopted Thai twins. Jasmine and Juliet. We also have a blog about our daily lives. Check it out if you like: http://funkydoodledonkey.blogspot.com

Good Luck or as they say in Thai: Chock Dee with the adoption of your daughter. I am sure she will be the most amazing experience you will have in your lifetime!