Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Business of Parenting

I gotta tell you, I feel good today. While it wasn't easy to tackle that first attachment book, I feel better prepared and my romantic idea of adoption is being replaced by an informed, mature parenting outlook. I am thinking positive, but understanding that my daughter may have special needs and concerns. I feel more armed and ready to handle anything she may need from us. Started another book written by an adult adoptee "Twenty Things Adoptive Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew". Really good so far. Some is common sense to me, but there is MUCH to gain from the adoptee's perspective.
I think of all this as getting down to the business of parenting. Of course, this is just what I THINK is the business of parenting since I am a complete newbie. Surely, there will be many things we will learn by experience and our interactions with our daughter. We are planning to move to FL in the next year or so, but not until our daughter is home awhile and adjusted. Then we will visit FL a few times and let her see her new room before making the jump.

So, for now, I am gathering information for both states. I have talked to and found two amazing Pre-K Montessori schools. LOVE the Montessori platform! One down the road from our PA house (in case we are still here) and one 5 minutes from the development in Boca that we like. Both teachers are warm and wonderful, taking the time to talk to me for nearly an hour. Both schools have a diverse group of kids including others that were adopted and of varied ethnicity. They are used to language barriers (should there be any). They promote individuality and let the child work at his or her pace. They teach culture, art, music, character building, daily living, peace, and kindess along with the regular academics. It couldn't be more perfect for what we want for our daughter. I am so happy to have found these loving, family style schools.

I am also finding adoption doctors and pediatricians in both locations. Thrilled to have CHOP (Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia) in our backyard. They are excellent and have a whole International Adoption Health Center. Registered with them already and had a nice talk with the director. Still researching the docs in FL, but got some great suggestions from fellow adoptive Mom's off the FL adopt groups. Going to add to my list all the support groups I find or have found in each city, Mommy & Me yoga, and in FL I found a real loving swim class for toddlers.
Come on home, Ruby! We're ready!

No comments: