Monday, September 1, 2008

Good Bye Summer





For those of us in the US, today (Labor Day) signifies a day off. In 1894, the labor union decided workers needed a day off and made it a federal holiday. Personally, I think it was a fabulous idea! It's the last big weekend of summer, kids are going back to school, seems like a great time for a long weekend. It's a time, traditionally, for end of summer parties, BBQ's, and time with family and friends. We had a fun social schedule this weekend with lots of places to go and friends to see. Friday night was date night in - just the two of us. Sat we had my friend Susan and her boyfriend over for dinner. Sunday we had a blast at our good friends Charlsey & John's pool party. I think I carried their precious daughter Ava around for 2 hours. She was so cute I didn't want to put her down! Then today we headed over to my brothers for a cook-out and great visit with the family. We always have fun with them and I especially love seeing my nephews. Relaxing, fun weekend.

It's been a great summer for seeing friends and family. We figured we better go out and do it now before we have a toddler at home. Still, with summer coming to an end I don't find myself like many - longing for more hot lazy days. On the contrary, fall is one of my favorite seasons. Mother Nature takes care of all the landscaping and the crisp cool mornings make it perfect for a power walk (or jog if I am feeling particularly motivated). It's the time of the year we got married, the time we settled on and moved into our house, both of our birthdays, and a few family birthdays, too. This year autumn may bring even more magic than most years...news from Thailand. Maybe, just maybe, we will get our referral this fall. I don't know why but we are holding onto the hope that we will hear something by the end of the year. Prayers said, fingers crossed. :)

Pictures above are from the garden and yard this summer. Love the one with Chloe (our dog) just sitting there watching the deer crossing through the yard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos of your yard and porch. I think I could sit and swing for hours on that porch.

I, like you, love the fall season. I love the changing of leaves, pumpkins, mums, and cooler temperatures. Plus, it brings Halloween, Thanksgiving, and ends at the Christmas season.

Glad you had a great weekend.

Carey

Anonymous said...

BTW, meant to say that I'm happy you turned on comments, there were times i wanted to comment but had to do it the old fashioned way *email -wink.
christina