Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mom's Day In The Sun


It's been a long road for Donna Jean. (Marie is a joke because she loves the name and nicknames all her friends - and a few cats -with that as a middle name. Even our dog has been dubbed "Chloe Marie"!) Anyway, this amazing woman had three kids to raise, one with Austism. Not too mention always being "mom" to anyone else in need. She was a single mom who had  a lot of financial struggle and hardships along the way. But not today. My beautiful mom is weeks away from retirement and is, for the first time in a long while, having fun and relaxing. The light at the end of the tunnel is burning bright and we are so looking forward to the good times ahead. It is a dream come true for me, and for her, too, of course! My mom is the kind of person that always looked out and did for everyone else. Now is her time. It's taken her awhile to come around to the idea, but I think it is finally taking hold. We are making plans for mother and daughter day trips and she is allowing her self to day dream again and think about what SHE would actually like to do. We did an "extreme home make-over" on her house last year and the whole family got involved. It was amazing. So now her home is taken care of, she is taken care of, and she has nothing to worry about except taking care of HER. It's so darn wonderful, I just can't tell you. She is like a whole new woman and I couldn't be happier for her!

Below are some pics from her big day on Thursday. Her beautiful group of friends threw her a great retirement party and my brother Jason and I drove to Harrisburg to join them.  Jeff and Jason's wife had to work so it was just us. Afterwards we had the little impromptu photo shoot in the yard and then mom and I went to see my brother Dave. We had a great visit. The 3 of us went to see the first movie (at a theater) that we have seen in YEARS! A seriously great day!
 
Mom and a few of her dear friends. They decorated the room so cute with flowers and balloons...all in pink. (I wish the inside pics came out better. It was too dark and I forgot my real camera. These were all taken with my phone.) It was really nice though. So many people were there for her - including some that have already retired who came back just for her party! Her friend Tina even came to her house the night before to give her a pretty new haircut!

Me & Mom 

Being silly - stinking our tongue out at Jason. 
Jason & Mom
Jason & I in a rare brother & sister shot and no, we did not try to match! The color coordination was purely accidental!

Jason & I laughing at mom trying to figure out how to take pics with my iPhone

David with the little pumpkin we brought him. He's so cute!!

Showing Mommy the little scrap book he made at Good Will...all by himself!

More great visits with Mom coming soon!


1 comment:

Carey and Norman said...

Happy Retirement. What a fabulous story and I'm so excited for your mother. Now, she'll have plenty of Jen and Ruby time!!

The home makeover was a nice thought and great idea!!