Friday, December 19, 2008

A Day In The Big Apple

Oh, how I love NY! Especially at Christmas time. The hustle, the bustle, the smell of roasted chestnuts, the lights everywhere.... love it all! I had such a wonderful day today. Went up to see some of my best girlfriends - Tammy, Kimi, and Sherry. First Tam & Kimi & I had a great lunch together in the West Village. Then we hit the famous Magnolia Bakery for a cupcake and cookie (what? there are no calories over the holidays!) Then Tam & I headed uptown to site-see and window shop all day. Can you believe I didn't buy anything? It's funny how many times I have been in the city and never took time to be a tourist. It was great fun! 

Took the subway to Times Square (42nd) and then walked all the way up to Rockefeller Center, past all the fancy shops all lit up in holiday cheer, and finally to the king of all toy stores: FAO Schwartz. I wish I would have taken pics but I was too excited. Words can't quite describe it. 3 stories of fabulous cuteness. They actually had a "nursery" in the Middleton doll section (with very cute Asian dolls BTW) where little girls stood in line to hold a "newborn". They had "nurses" on staff to show the girls how you hold the baby and a rocking chair that they sat on with their baby to feed it and a little blankie on their lap. So. Darn. Cute. I got a little teary at that site, but other than that I was just giddy. I am feeling myself again and just happier than ever knowing what is in store for us. And you can bet Ruby & I will be standing in that line one day... as well as the design your own Barbie line! I'm such a kid at heart, I think I will have as much fun as she will!

After FAO Schwartz, we met up with our good friend Sherry and got to visit with her before heading back to the train station. A wonderful day with some dear friends! I love you guys!!

Tammy & I by the Rockefeller Christmas Tree and Skating Rink. 

Here is the Rockefeller skating rink. I have been dreaming of skating here since I was a little kid and my Gram brought us up to see it and the Radio City Christmas show every year. Tam can't do it cause of her back. Kimi & Sherry might if we could get our schedules together. Jeff always says a definitely no. Mom says not a chance.  So, Miss Ruby...it looks like it's you and me kid! Can't wait to do this with you someday!

Okay this was so over the top I had to shoot it. How crazy/fabulous/but ridiculous is this? Louis Vuitton decorated their building like one of their bags for the holidays. Lights were even shaped like the colored logo. You have to admit, it's kinda cool looking.

Hustle & bustle on 5th Avenue. Wish you could have seen that robo-santa in the red suit (left side of picture). Pretty funny! This was right in front of the toy store.

Another highlight was using the Charmin bathroom at Times Square. Evidently, Charmin rents a whole building each year during the holidays to promote their product and give a nice clean bathroom to dire tourists. It was hilarious. There was actually a guy standing out front in a toilet costume saying "it's free to pee" and "try the Charmin". Inside was like Charmin heaven with music and dancing Charmin people everywhere. They even had a playground inside and stage for kids to dance and I guess entertain themselves while Mom & Dad took care of bathroom duty. LOL. Only in NY. Check out their website for their super clean potty locations.

4 comments:

Ellie said...

Looks like an incredibly fun day with girlfriends!!!

Jessica said...

Fun, fun, fun! Even if it looked cold, cold, cold. Loved the bit about Charmin. Who knew? A whole new way to view TP.

Kam said...

What a fun day with your peeps! I love NYC at Christmas too! Have only been once but it was so worth it to experience the hustle and bustle and decorations! So glad you had a blast!
Merry Christmas!

Carey and Norman said...

I went to NY in 2002 for Christmas and loved it. The window shopping, Rockefeller tree, and FAO Swartz! Loved it...glad you had a great time.