Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Stocking For Ruby Kate

I took this picture of her room today. On her mantel are a few special things. The bear from her Uncle Jason & Aunt Melissa, the bear from her God-parents (my cousin) Lauren & Chris. A few special trinkets and gifts from friends - a little necklace that says her name, a bear with a toy box, a solid rose quartz heart, and my Grandmother's pink rosary beads. We got my Gram the rosary at the Vatican when we visited Rome a few years back. I love having it in the baby's room and feel like she is watching over her. My Gram's name was Katherine (Kate) hence Ruby's middle name. Such a very special lady and greatly missed. Will post a picture here for our daughter to see one day. (Going to make this blog into a book). Ruby's picture is in the frame on the mantel that says "Dreams Come True" but I had to blur it out for now.  I promise to post pictures as soon as we are allowed. Here are some pics of my sweet Gram...

This was us, Summer 2004. My Gram & I were very close. I love this picture because it's such a funny reminder of how alike we were.  Both SO girlie, loved shopping and all things fashion, and both our favorite colors were (and mine are) red and pink. I showed up at her house dressed like this, and well, you can see how in synch we were! It was so funny, I had to have someone take a picture.

This was taken a year or so later at my cousin Chrissy's wedding. I love the smiles and warmth of this shot. They were dancing and boy, did she love my Jeff.  She used to say, "Better watch it! I'm going to steal that cute husband of yours!"

I hung a pretty pink stocking in Ruby Kate's room today. It has a large sparkly crown on it. There were supposed to be 4 pink balls next to it (but, oops!) I broke one and it shattered all over the place.  So, 2 it is! I vacuumed the whole room lest one shred be left on the floor. Anyway, I will be packing them up after Christmas (for say, 10 years) and will go out searching for kid-friendly plastic or wooden ornaments. For now, Ruby's room looks pretty. I want her to see the picture of her room someday and know that even though she wasn't here yet, she was every bit a part of our holiday. She is in every thought and every daily task. She is with us all day long and in our dreams at night.  Wishing you love today, dear daughter.

5 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

What a beautiful fireplace for Ruby. I love it. You've done a wonderful job decorating and Ruby will appreciate all your love for her even while she was still waiting in Thailand. Having a blog journal will allow you to share your emotions with her during your journey when she gets older and can understand her story!

Thinking of you!!

rosemary said...

Her room looks lovely. Mommy did little Ruby Kate proud!

Ellie said...

So sweet! Her room looks beautiful! How many little girls get to have a fireplace all for themselves?!? Love it!! Can't wait until she's in the picture, too!! :)

Mireille said...

How sweet is Ruby's room, can't get over it!! You both did such a good job on that, I know Jeff painted it patiently...and of course you did the rest. Ruby will so feel at home. And your grandmom is just the sweetest lady, love those pics! Thanks for sharing!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks everyone! We are actually going to be moving in there with her when she comes home so we'll get to enjoy it with her! We painted the inside of the fireplace and are going to close it off inside. I'd be way to paranoid to light a fire in a baby's room Still, I'm happy it looks nice!