Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Going Private Soon

Just wanted to let you all know I will be making the blog private soon. If you'd like to be on the list, please email me. Many of you that I email and talk to often will be included anyway, as well as all close friends and family.

As much as I have enjoyed sharing with everyone out there in blog land and getting to know so many of you that are also adopting, I feel we will soon be getting our referral and want to keep some details more private. I am also getting the odd comment now and again and just don't feel like dealing with it. Some just want to sell something and others want to point out the problems with international adoption. I woke up to a disturbing comment yesterday morning. Actually, the comment was not disturbing itself. The anonymous comment said no hello or words, but just directed me to a website and article that said inter-country adoption is pointless and makes people who are strangers in our country, etc. I was horrified. As if this process isn't hard enough. Now I have to deal with uninformed people's opinions too? Just to clarify a few things (not that I should have to) but here it is...

1. Thailand's program is long standing and has never had corruption. I appreciate those advocating for children worldwide. I understand there have been problems in other countries, but Thailand's program as been heralded for being on the up and up. Furthermore, their government takes great effort to keep the children in country and with their birthparents or other family members before releasing them for international adoption.  Most children are not released until 1 year old for this reason. Those condemning all international adoption should do their homework on the subject.
2. I  (as well as other adoptive parents) are well aware of the loss and difficulties of international adoption. We know that it may be difficult at times for our child to be different, not look like their parents, and some times they may feel like they don't "fit in". That's what loving parents are for. To help them, guide them, reassure them over and over, get them therapy if they need, hold their hand, and love them deeply.  Parents should be well informed, open and honest with their children, making it easy for their children to communicate with them. The road may not always be easy, but it is a road worth traveling and far better than living their life at an orphanage. How anyone could say international adoption is pointless is beyond me. It was obviously not someone who as gotten to know all the wonderful, happy families out there as I have. Of course, there will be challenges, but we will get through them.
3. I use the words grateful and thankful a lot. However, I use them as they apply to ME. I would NEVER expect my child to be "grateful" for a life she didn't choose. Grateful for the sun that shines and the food on our table and life itself, but never for adoption. I don't believe we are "saving" a child. I believe we are the lucky ones. We both do. But I do know that this particular child with her particular needs and circumstances does need us and we are happy that both our needs (and hearts) will be fufilled by the gift of adoption. I ask that others try not to judge things they know nothing about.

Okay, done venting. If anyone wants to read said article, go to: http://about-orphans.blogspot.com. We now go back to our regularly scheduled blogging...

18 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Well said Jen. I'm so sorry you've gotten these types of comments on your blog (why I began private). God places a child on our hearts when the time is right for us to move forward.

As you know, we have a child by birth and adoption. We love them the same. The love for our children grew the same. Our son's love grew while he was in the womb and our daughter's love grew while we waited to complete her adoption. Neither love is better than the other. And, we are parents to both of our beautiful children. Ruby was destined to be your child before time. God just had to use different avenues to get you together. Adoption is truly a test of faith, but God's goodness shines through!!

You know I definitely want an invite to your private blog!

Kam said...

Jen, bless your sweet heart! Of course I'd love to be added to your list of readers! But I totally understand why you want to go private! No worries, friend! God knows your heart...just let the other stuff go!
Be blessed!

rosemary said...

Jen, your defense of international adoption is well spoken and obviously filled with concern for your child's life. You're going to be an excellent advocate for your family and for your child! I'ld be upset if I got those comments too (knock on wood)!

I certainly want to be in on the private list too!!

Ellie said...

Jen,
Sorry to hear about those yuck comments!!! I've often wondered if I should go private, though I've yet to get any unkind words. Of COURSE I'll want you to invite me!!! Can't wait to meet up next week!!

Ellie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nichole and Craig said...

Hi Jen
I have also had a few strange comments on mine which I deleted right away.
We are also going private soon and don't blame you for doing the same.
Nichole

Glen and Andrea said...

Hi, I had been a way for a few days and so I was catching up on your older posts first (the Christmas ones) and I was wanting to leave a comment for you about waiting for your baby this Christmas, so I was shocked to hear you have been left Nasty comments. That is the last thing you need right now. We also went private with our blog after getting our referral for our son. I'll email you an invite to our blog so you can visit it.

Now for the comment re:Waiting for your child at Christmas! We waited through 3 Christmases for our son. Last year we had had our referral for 3 months already at Christmastime. It is just the hardest thing imaginable. I know your heartache and wish you didn't have it. But I wanted to comfort you by telling you that once we met that precious little baby at 27 months old and years of waiting - all the pain was worth it. I know you will realise it but it always helps to have these confirmed by others =)
Thinking of you at this hard time.
Andrea from New Zealand.

Maci Miller said...

Thanks for the support! Thanks for your emails and comments here. I will add you all to the list and Andrea can I visit yours? I used to follow it before you went private. And just to be clarify, I haven't received any mean or nasty comments. Just a link to an article that I found offensive. I get annoyed when someone bashes international adoption. It is the greatest blessing of our lives! I also occasionally get links to sites that push US adoptions and find it odd/rude for someone to advertise something like that when we have obviously chosen to adopt internationally.

FamiljenNilsson said...

Hi,
I would love to read your blogg.
/M

FamiljenNilsson said...

May I read your blogg?

Paige said...

Yes that is why my adoption/family blog is also private now. I would love to be added.

Chelsea Bergeron said...

I have been following your blog for a while now and I am sorry that you got rude comments on your blog; it happens to all of us :) We adopted from Ethiopia in March and we are hoping to adopt again and we are considering adopting a waiting child from Thailand :) I wish you the best of luck and I think what you are doing is wonderful and amazing!

dawn said...

As for the nasty, rude, uneducated comments: I think we all get them at some point. Don't waste your energy in replying to them or the alternative is, post the comment and let us all have at them!

You have no need to explain to anyone your path in life. It is nobodies business.

Bottom line: You can't change stupid!

Please include us in your list!

Lisa said...

Hi!
I have been an observer of your blog for the most part, but we are a family that was built through internation adoption too. Our daugther was adopted at age 7 mos. from Kazakhstan in 2003 and we have a baby boy awaiting us in Taiwan currently. To say that we have been blessed by adoption is an understatement and truly we believe that our family was formed only through God's loving grace.
To think that others would feel it necessary to leave snide or hateful comments is unthinkable and hideous.
I don't know a single adoptive family that has not taken painstaking efforts to ensure a transparent and ethical adoption.
I would love to continue to follow along with your journey but understand if you would rather not share with a stranger.
Just in case:
lisachaney1@yahoo.com

Take much care and please don't be disheartened by those that would wish to diminish our happiness. Enjoy this magical time as you await your darling girl!
Lisa
P.S. Could you please delete this comment after reading it, as to keep my email private? Thank you!

Mireille said...

I am just reading this today, and you will meet people in your life that talk about things they don't know anything about! Not worth wasting energy on!
Love your blog and hope to keep reading it for a long time to come ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ok, it's been a while since I've come to visit. You pay no mind to those wackos out there. Please do include me when you go private. Hang in there!
christina

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Can you please include me too? Sorry I forgot to say something sooner.
I'm in the UK paperwork almost ready to go to Thailand.
Best wishes,
Daisy

Karen said...

Jen, Please include me too. I'd love to continue to follow your blog.

I'm sorry that you feel you need to go private, but I certainly understand. We've had a family web site and blog since about 2002 and I feel very fortunate that we haven't had any negative garbage sent our way about adoption or our children. I'm sorry you've encountered it. You probably already know about this on blogger...I made sure that I selected "no" on our blogs "basic" settings where it says, "add your blog to our listings". I also selected "no" for "search engines to be able to find the blog". Not sure if this makes much of a difference, but I didn't want our blog to be easily found.