Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Need To Be Stopped

Every time I get either real excited about our baby or real down, anxious, or impatient (or sometimes even a strange combination of all of the above) I start shopping again. We needed baby gates. We needed special locks for her bedroom windows and a stove guard. Okay, no problem. We needed a bathtub to put inside our rather large bathtub for her safety and comfort too. AND she needs to have bubble bath and bath toys, too, right? 

Well, that would have been fine if I stopped there. But no, that wouldn't be like me now would it? I did my blog reading last night and found some rather stressful articles out there. Stumbled upon some adoptees that are having a seriously tough time being adopted. One that really resents her adoptive family. Really, really sad for all involved. I'd like to think I have read enough to not make the same mistakes (like talking openly with her about everything, keeping her heritage very much a part of our every day lives, making sure we live in and send her to a school in an area that is ethnically diverse, seeking out therapy if necessary, having other friends that are adopted from Thailand, adopting another child - an Asian sibling down the road, etc). I have thought about this a LOT, but surely everyone makes SOME mistakes. How do I know if I my daughter will love us or hate us for adopting her? It's such a hard thing to think about. Of course, you never really know till later. I've read so much on this subject and think I am armed to handle the situation,... but am I? Are any of us? It really got me down last night. We love this child so much already and to think she could resent us for adopting her one day is enough to break my heart in half. I gotta believe it won't be that way and I have to stop reading so much!

Another family I read about found out their child's special needs were much, much more than they thought.  I felt so much for them and their beautiful child and then my wondering mind had me thinking of how our daughter was and if there would be any surprises turning up on her medical. I was up till 1 am and in my stress and worry I turned to online shopping again. Here are the results of my anxiety. Someone please tell me to get off the computer!
Asian learn-to-dress doll. Cute and educational. I needed it, right? Babyoffice.com

Multi-cultural family for dollhouse play. Babyoffice.com This is a GREAT site BTW, and not my fault if you buy something! In fact, it was another blogger or adoption group person who posted this and got me in trouble. Let's blame her. :-)
These are the international food sets from Pottery Barn Kids. So. Darn. Cute. Made of fabric, not plastic and very realistic looking. The Japanese one above is still available online, but the Chinese one is only at a few stores who have them left. Not Thai, but close enough to the kind of food we eat and hope she will eat. Hope being the operative word. We are going to try to do as much fruit, veggies, rice, and fish as possible. That is what she is eating now so we hope to continue the healthy eating routine with her. At least until she is older. We'll see how that goes!

One last thing...our social worker mentioned it would be a good idea to get a book about an airplane or plane rides to explain to her while in Thailand. Found a bunch on Amazon, but these 2 spoke to me the most.

So you see my dilema? So much to buy, entirely too much time waiting! What's a girl to do???Please, if I mention something else I am looking at gently tell me to step away from the computer at once!!

6 comments:

Ellie said...

Before you know it, Ruby will be home, and you'll be too busy to shop!!! She's gonna love her mommy and daddy!! You will be amazing parents! Holding out for your news!
ellie

Jessica said...

Jen,
Just considering your shopping "doing your part" during this tough economy. I love the airplane book idea. Genius! You'll be ready for whatever comes your way with this adoption because you've gone into it with eyes wide open. You've prepared yourself for the good, the bad, and the ugly. Now you just need the good - Ruby.

rosemary said...

I love what you said about "I think I'm armed to handle the situation but am I? Are any of us?" That's pretty much how I feel every day. You are going to be a great mom!!!

Shopping is not the worst trigger behavior you could have. Trust me. I've been eating WAY too much. I'm trying to turn to exercise but that doesn't seem as comforting.

Kam said...

Friend, shopping IS therapy! Unless you're out buying cars and houses...I say, "shop on!"

I have been thinking of you so much today...knowing it's Wednesday. Isn't there a board meeting today? I'm hoping you get great news.

I talked to "K" today. She had great news for us! Joel's file has been gathered way faster than expected and the SW emailed "K" to say that we should have the referral within two weeks and that she planned to send our file to the DSDW next week!!!!!!! AH!!!!
So, then the To Whom It May Concern letter...I800 visa app. (running 2 weeks right now!), going through all of the channels after I800 approval and then petition for travel dates!!!!!! ah!!!!!

Hope you are doing well. And thanks so much for the email yesterday about the visitation. I talked to her toda about it and she is going to check for us.

Hang in there!

Julie said...

Jen,
I can identify. I have clothes even now that Panit has not had on yet.
Julie

Glen and Andrea said...

I could've written every word of that email!! I have those worries/thoughts about H too. There are A LOT of adoptees out there who wish they were not adopted and I have been reading their stories too. I have been thinking of posting to ask other AP's if they have come across positve adoptee stories - cause I really need to read those ones! I think the shopping thing is a common problem... you probably won't have time to shop when she is home though, so try not to worry about =)