Sunday, April 5, 2009

Play Date With Ava & Logan

These are our good friends' kids, Logan and Ava. We've been doing "play dates" with them for a few weeks now. My friend Charlsey thought it would be a good idea for me to get used to the routine and practice a bit. It's been such a GREAT experience! We go over and play with the kids, sometimes baby-sit an hour, and also get a chance to hang with our friends. Ava is such a darling! The precious little thing lets me carry her in my sling, dress her, feed her, and even change her diaper. I tried out my cloth diapers on her and they are GREAT! She seemed to like them. So soft and easy to wash, too. If Ruby needs them for night time, I will be ready!

We found out yesterday that Ruby and Ava are actually the same exact size! So bizarre since Ava is 16 months and Ruby is nearly 2! When I found out her size I called Charlsey right away and when she got home she measured and weighed her immediately for me to have a frame of reference. Ruby is 30" tall and 23-24 lbs and Ava is 31" tall and 24 lbs. So at my dear friend's suggestion, I brought a bunch of clothes over tonight to try on Ava and see how they fit. All but one dress fit her! All the Gymboree 12-18 months stuff fit great. Was really happy about that cause they are some of my favorite outfits! She was so cute while I tried the clothes on her. But funny, too, cause I had to chase her silly, squirmy, dancing self around to get the stuff on and off.  She liked it but had to be on the move! Good practice! Fun, too. 

Logan is a such a little love and was so excited to talk to Jeff about all things pirate. It's real cute how his little sis likes to follow him around and do what he is doing. The kids are so good and we really enjoyed ourselves tonight, as always.
Our friends and the proud parents - Cheryl (aka Charlsey) and John

Ava happily sitting in my sling a few weeks ago and letting me cart her around and practice! She is so darn cute and actually smiled when I put her in it!

After the kids were off to bed, the four of us had a drink and got to catch up. Really a nice evening with some terrific friends!

6 comments:

rosemary said...

How fun for you guys to have a little practice time with such sweet kiddos! What a great discovery that Ava is the same size as Ruby - now you have your own little form model!

Ellie said...

That's so sweet, that you're able to do that with your friends!! You'll have to advise me on the sling. It's something I've considered, but not purchased. I really have held off on making most purchases. Does your shoulder get tired with such a big kiddo in the sling? Do you think you'll use it a lot with Ruby? We're trying to decide what our best route will be. It's hard to know, because some kids really like to be held, and of course we REALLY want to hold her a lot. But, other toddlers REALLY want their freedom and independence.
You're gonna be such wonderful parents to little Ruby Kate!! Sending Hugs!

Chris and Terri said...

YAY - on the clothes! Wow - I can't wait for you to dress Ruby in all those clothes!!!

How's the sling? It's pretty!

Brings back memories of chasing my big guys around when they were little bits. You should see their faces now when I ask them to try something on! LOL - not pleased with me. I only do it once or twice a year. I pick my battles!

Terri

Julie said...

Sounds like good practice! Hope you have your date soon.
Julie

Megan said...

I am so excited for you guys, Jen! I was desperately hoping Mary would come back with much good news!! It helps so much to know sizes, glad alot of your favorite outfits are going to work. And practicing with your friends adorable kiddos is a great idea. I love the pic of you and Ava and can't wait till it is Ruby sitting in the sling!! I am glad you know ahead of time more about her hearing so you can do the research now and be ready to simply love on her when she comes home!
Hugs~

Carey and Norman said...

Love the sling...very trendy and cute!! Great way for you to carry Miss Ruby!