Saturday, May 23, 2009

Happy Morning!


How cute is this image? Snagged it off someone's blog who made this for her daughter for breakfast. Is that sweet or what? Someday real soon I'll be making silly faces on my angel's toast!

I woke up at 6am on a Saturday morning. This is not a normal occurance for me. Well, at least not for a few more months! Jeff was like, what are you doing? Guess I am just too excited to sleep. I woke up and my thoughts drifted to her and I've been awake ever since. I secretly want to wake up the world and say DID YA HEAR? WE HAVE OUR REFERRAL! Stand on a mountain and scream OUR BABY! OUR BABY!  WE ARE GOING TO HOLD HER SOON!!! Of course, soon is relative, but go with me here. It's never been so close. So we have a few more months. Somehow it's easier to take when you can actually see the finish line. You know there is really an end and you have a good estimate of when and where that is. Think summer will fly by as we scramble to get the last minute things done. I realized this week we still have many little things to do or take care of before we go.

Now for details... 
Kate at Wacap is such a lovely person. When I called her to say, YAY, and how are you sending it? Can I get it tomorrow???? She wasn't sure with it being the weekend so she emailed us the stuff I was dying for -pics, the background, and medical information. The hard copy will get to us by Tuesday. So nice of her to take the time to scan and email those! She knew I just could not wait another minute! 

As for the report...it all looks great! No real surprises. Mostly info we knew, but some new info like birth weight and history and how she was as a baby and stuff like that. No surprises with the medical either. Healthy and developing well except for hearing and needs speech therapy due to hearing loss. But we can work with that. They describe her hearing as sensorineural which is permanent so that's not great, but we won't really know how bad it is till she gets here. To be honest, they say she is hearing at a level where she shouldn't be able to hear soft talking, yet in the video she is responding to a nanny talking softly in her ear. So soft that we can't hear fully what she is saying. Okay, and she speaks Thai so we wouldn't know anyway, but still. She has hearing aids in on video, but not in new pics. So maybe it's not that bad? Maybe I want to think it's not that bad. We'll see, but I am not going to worry about it. She is precious and we will deal with it and make it as best as we can for her.

Let's see...what else can I share? Well, she feeds herself with a spoon and is walking well and can go up stairs holding a hand rail. She is a healthy height and weight and in the normal bracket. Those little details are so wonderful to know! My favorite is how they describe her emotion and psychological development: "She is a bright and cheerful child who is afraid of darkness and loud noises and being alone." (Aw, you won't be alone for long, pumpkin! Mommy will be glued to your side!) It's good to know this information to best prepare for her. Her room doesn't get real dark anyway, but I will get a cute night light for in there, as well. Then it says "She is a self-centered child who will get angry when someone does not follow her way." Yes, it actually says that. I just laughed and thought uh-oh at the same time. Poor Jeff, he's got 2 Diva's now! Yea, I know. May not find that so funny down the road when she is challenging me, but for right now all I know is I just plain love her. Love her adorable smile and her spunk. Love that she is bright and strong and stubborn and possibly a tough little cookie. That is what has helped her survive her first 2 years and will make her a go-getter and strong woman later in life.

Oh and her pictures! Almost forgot to mention her pictures! We got two of them. Again, showing so much personality. In the first one the most incredible smile. Definitely the happiest we have seen her yet. She is outside and it looks like the ocean is behind. In fact, the area where she is standing is all sandy so the beach must be close. She has shoes on (another thing we hadn't seen in a photo yet). I love that she was outside. She appears to have a beach cover-up on so in my day dream, they take the kids to the beach. My friend is sure it is the orphanage she is standing in front of. May be but I am going to keep on day dreaming that she went to the beach that day! :-). May just be that they take them outside for a walk or outside the building for fresh air. Either way it's nice that the kids get out of the orphanage at times. Wasn't sure if they did so that's cool. The second shot she is back to pouty and moody, but oh so gorgeous! Just want to kiss that pout and make her giggle! They have her in a beautiful little dress. She just looks precious. It's funny how absolutely perfect she is for us. We can't imagine any other child fitting with us so perfectly. I mean, I'm sure when we have a second child we will feel the same about her, too, but this little girl is so much a part of us already, I can't imagine it any other way. So happy. Happy, happy, day-dreamy Saturday morning. Going to grab some coffee and lay in the sun while I wait for the hubby to wake up. :-)





7 comments:

Ellie said...

Well, Jen! That referral was full of some fun new facts and info! Sounds like her development is good! So cute that they said that about her wanting things her own way! We got very similar reports about Jacob! They said, "This child is very strong willed. This child will sometimes hit other children to take a toy." This report came just weeks before we were to leave to get him. It scared us b/c he's the same age as Laurel and two years older than Jack! We hoped he wouldn't hurt the other children! Well, that's NEVER been an issue. He IS strong willed! But he quickly learned how life in a family works. I think that to survive in an orphanage, you've got to be a little tough and assertive. So, good for her!

WONDERFUL!!... that you got some good new pics!!! I love that she's got a big smile on her face in one. Love that she's on sandy beach! Thanks for sharing your info. Have a fun, happy day!

dawn said...

Cloud nine doesn't go away you know, you just get to stay there for ever and ever.

rosemary said...

I am so happy for you guys! Her personality sounds like gold. She will definitely be a person of strength her whole life through and what more could you want for your daughter? Can't wait to hear that you've been travel approved!!

Jessica said...

What a great newsy post and referral chock full of info. She sounds like a beautiful child with a sweet, determined spirit. I'm sure that personality will continue to serve her well in years to come. It is curious they said she was scared of loud noises. Maybe that's good news about her hearing or at least the quality of her hearing aids?

Sharon said...

Oh Jen, she is at the beach! They do take the kids on excursions to the beach or to the zoo. I definately know they do this in Songkhla so NST would be the same. so tell me, what's the process now while you wait? What forms are to be lodged etc?

Glen and Andrea said...

Oh I love Dawn's comment, it's gorgeous. Reading this post was lovely. I found waiting after the referral so much easier than waiting before it. Because then I KNEW it was definately happening, it would be time to go soon. It sounds like you might find the same thing.

Kam said...

Jen, this is so great! I'm thrilled that you got so many new details of Ruby! What a blessing! No worries, they tell us that Joel throws himself on the floor and bangs his head against it when his favorite caregiver isn't there! And that he is prone to tantrums! lol! We'll all have adjusting to do for sure. But she will be home and you will be such a great mommy to her!

So, so happy for you and this news. Hang in there! It will all be worth it! Thanks for sharing!

Much love and hugs~