Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pandora's Box

Ever notice how one home project turns into a little of this and a little of that and before you know it you have redone a whole room? Yea, well we have too. It started with a little office swapping... and turned into a major reno project! I knew the carpet in Jeff's office was shot, but had no idea how bad till he got all his things out of there. Our old cat made a mess of it and it had to be ripped out. Stains everywhere. We tore it out and then remembered why it was carpeted. Oops. So now we have to re-do the hardwood floors and/or pick up a nice 8 x 11 rug. Not to mention a few things we need up in Jeff's office. Let's hope we don't discover anything else!

Things are always tricky with this old house and today's challenge was when Jeff and our nephew, Anthony, were trying to bring down my hutch to the 2nd floor. We all forgot how narrow the stairway is from the 3rd to 2nd floor. The poor guys struggled and sweated and turned that thing every which way to get it down. Have NO idea how we got it up there in the first place! Well, they finally got it angled just right and we were all excited when one foot of the hutch went straight through the ceiling, sending down a pile of dust and drywall. Really, I would have screamed had it not been so darn funny. We all just laughed then they finally got to set that heavy thing down. So now Jeff is fixing the drywall, I am touching up the wall that got scraped, and my hutch is sitting in our bedroom waiting for the floors to be done in my new office, formerly Jeff's office. 

I'm pooped. Jeff is pooped. Today I have ripped up a rug, chisled out staples and floor tacking out of the floor, vacuumed and scrubbed the floors, and finished scrubbing the hard wood floor upstairs in Jeff's new office and the sitting room adjacent to it. Uggh. I ache in muscles I forgot I had. Jeff pulled out a lot of the carpet and drug it outside, hauled a zillion things up and down the stairs today and put together his office, all while working and making calls. I must say, we worked our tushies off, but it looks good! Jeff has a nice, clean, quiet work space upstairs and I will have my desk in the room right next to Ruby's bedroom. It's perfect! Funny we hadn't thought of this arrangement before. Worth all the hard work.

But for now, I need to go rest my weary 40 year old body before tomorrow's project...sanding and staining the floors. Uggh.

1 comment:

Kam said...

Just got your email...thanks so much. Man, you've been busy! You'll love it when it's all done though! And how perfect, that she'll be next to your office! Right close to her mama where she belongs!