Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Gift With Meaning


You'll often find me wearing this amulet. It's one of my favorite necklaces and has all sorts of personal meaning to me. It also has an interesting story to it.

It was a gift from my dear friend, Muk, from Thailand. A couple years ago she came to the US for the first time and stayed with us for a month. She brought me some cool wooden bangle bracelets and neat stuff from Thailand, and then - with much excitement - she pulled out this amulet that has a Buddha on one side and a stupor on the other. Quite beautiful. It was given with a lot of love and kindness from a wonderful person. It reminds me of her and of Thailand and the kindness Buddha inspired in that beautiful nation. I had never before been to a place where the people were so kind and loving. Everywhere. Not a single rude person. They don't judge others, no harsh words, not the impatience you run into every day in a normal American city. There is a calmness and kind nature there that made me fall for the Thai people since the first day I hit Bangkok. Yes, Bkk is polluted, full of traffic, and chaotic with it's developing world hussle-bussle. You have to scratch the surface to see it's beauty. Oh, but it is there for those with eyes to see. 

When Muk gave me the gift, we were still trying to get pregnant. Although it was something I always wanted to do, we weren't considering adoption at that time. The amulet, often called Jatukarm Amulets, are very popular in Thailand. You will see men, especially, walking around with lots of them around their neck. Some are said to bring good luck, happiness, peace, prosperity, etc. I thought it very cool and special and happened to have it on one day when I visited a local Thai temple. I went there for Thai lessons and to learn more about culture programs, holidays, etc. I like to be fully educated on things and want to know as much about her culture as possible. After all, we are going to be a Thai-American family now. We are very proud of that and want to incorporate their traditions into our every day life. We want her to be proud of her homeland, too, and know that she comes from a very special place and of very special people.

This visit was at a time when we didn't know yet if she would be ours. It was 2 years after I had been given the necklace. We were told our child was on "hold" for us, for lack of a better term. Meaning our file was being considered for her and no other families were told about her. But then there was a mix up and the Thai gov matched her and then they didn't and there was this long span of months when we just didn't know anything. It was horrible. I didn't sleep for a long time. We felt so deep in our hearts that she was meant to be our child, but were still so worried. As I went to the temple that day I, like most days, prayed for a sign. 

So I am talking to the monks there and they notice my necklace. The Abbot (which is the head monk) says he likes my amulet and asks where I got it. I tell him and then I precede to talk about the adoption. Now a second monk comes over and points to my necklace. He says "Beautiful! Where did you get it?" Again, I explain. Then the 2nd monk finds out we are adopting and asks where the baby is from. I say, Nakhon Si Thammarat. He says "Oh! That's where your necklace is from, too".  I got goosebumps all up and down my arms. She was our daughter. Our beautiful daughter from Nakhon Si Thammarat. I knew it! A few weeks later we got the news that confirmed our hunch.  When I later told this story to Muk, she said she had never been to that part of Thailand and didn't know that was where it was from. Coincidence? I don't think so.

So I wear my Buddha proudly... for it not only has so much meaning, but it also comes from our daughter's birthplace.

8 comments:

John and Nancy said...

Cheers to that Sister! I feel so lucky that we are now going to be "related" to such a beautiful culture and neither of us can wait to learn even more with our son! Thank you for posting this with such eloquence.
Nancy B

Kam said...

What a thoughtful gift. I wear a necklace for Joel...it sounds silly to some. But not to me. I can't wait to meet all of these wonderful people and so appreciate your insight. Not long now!
hugs~

dawn said...

Guess what? Now I've got goose bumps too!

Wyndee said...

What an awesome story and what a beautiful amulet!!! I used to wear a gold ladybug necklace while I waited for Sophie. She wears it now.

Not much longer...... :-)

rosemary said...

I love this story!! I am always looking for signs too and I completely agree with you that Thailand, and most of the world, is precious for those with eyes to see.

Julie said...

Jen I love this post. What a wonderful gift for you. Not long to go.....
Julie

Ellie said...

A beautiful necklace, and an amazing moment of confirmation!! Love those moments!!

Missy said...

beautiful necklace and an amazing story!