Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Bliss Continues

Yesterday morning (Wed) I woke up to Jeff saying, oh, honey, she's awake! She was just laying there looking at us! So cute. She had gotten an allergy medication from the Dr. and slept through the whole night! Got up at 8am! How lucky we are with this child. We went to bed rather late on Tuesday - about 8:30 - cause her nap time was off, but she did okay. The doctor said she had all the symptoms of rainy season allergies (itchy eyes, mild cough) and scalp dermatitis. I have a prescription shampoo (with Mirasol) to use once a week and an ointment to use once a day. Used them yesterday and it already seems to be helping. Plus the Benadryl type medicine (for bedtime) makes her sleep even more soundly and the girl already sleeps like a rock! After a 2 hour nap we tried to wake her and she did NOT want to get up. So cute and groggy, and then a few tears, but not much.

Her personality is coming out more and more. It's so cute. Sweet, but strong willed and wants to do it her way when playing. I think she may have had to fight for toys. She will hand it to me or Jeff but then wants it right back IMMEDIATELY. Hold it too long or try to show her how to open the book and she will make a sad face and/or fuss a bit. Cracks me up. She definitely knows what she wants and will do it HERSELF! Typical toddler stuff. Really, she is pretty much an easy going child. We try not to say no (mai chai) too much, but rather to divert her attention elsewhere. This seems to work well.

A typical day for us = get up, bath time (which she LOVES), go out on the patio for breakfast and play with Leo (Anna's little boy) and play on the hippity hop thing. Then we walk around the grounds and look at the flowers, trees, frogs, cows (mua), chickens, etc. It's really a magical place here. She is not afraid of the big cows in the back but will cry a bit at the sight on the dogs here. Uh-oh! Their dogs here are white like Chloe but much more laid back. So not sure how that long an adjustment that will be, but oh, well, we'll worry about that when we get home. She did do better the 2nd and 3rd day. I am guessing she never saw dogs before up close. Since she loves balls, I am hoping that will bond the 2 of them and she can throw balls to her in the back yard.

It's very hot so we usually go back to the room for play time after a walk. Her favorite toys are her doll (dtuk-ta) Lily, her books, her hair brush (sooo cute to see her brush her hair), and her ball. Get her bouncing the ball and she will just squeal with delight! Adorable! She will bounce to Daddy, then him to her, then she'll bounce to me, then repeat. She is really bonding with both of us! She gives kisses freely to both of us and there has been a LOT of eye contact.

We give her a bottle (of water) and she goes down for a nap in minutes. I cuddle her for awhile then when she is almost there I put her in the crib. Never fusses. Goes right to sleep! When we get up it's more play time or pool time then change for dinner, then bath, then reading books and listening to music, then bedtime. There have been slight variations depending on the day, but that is the basic routine. We give her a bottle of formula at bedtime as this is what she is used to. The orphanage gave us a big box of it so we have the same brand when we get home. Will wean her off it after a bit but for now it is comforting for her.

So much to write here so forgive me for being long! I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep cause I am so excited to let our family and friends know how it's going! We go to Bangkok today (Thursday) around 6 or 7 pm. I am a bit nervous for the first plane ride and change of scenery. She is doing so well here and surrounded by such loving people. People that speak not only Thai but also the local Nakhon Si Thammarat dialect and phrases too. Anna and her family feel like our family. They said Ruby (and all of us) have a special Thai family here and are welcome anytime. We feel the same about them. It will be hard for me to say goodbye to Anna as she has done so much to make Ruby feel comfortable and be able to love and be loved. When she visited the orphanage she really prepared her for leaving, going to America and told her about Mommy and Daddy. Ruby is bright and really understands things more than I ever thought she would. When I look at her and say I love you in Thai she just smiles up at me so happy! Melts my heart through and through! She loves Anna also and I think for Ruby and Anna it will be hard to say goodbye, too. We are going to Skype with her when we are home and always stay in touch with our new Thai family!

I'm also nervous because we will be flying without a net now. Anna and her family have translated a lot and taught me more words I needed to know. Like Bai norn which means sleeping and mai norn which means no sleeping and what Ruby told her the other day before nap time! haha. I'm glad I know a bit of Thai and she seems to both understand me and also be eager to learn English words. She repeats Jeff & I alot and it's amazing how quickly she is picking things up! Still, I wish I knew more and hope she feels as comfortable with us in Bangkok and she has here.

So much more to write but I will save for another post. Yesterday was a very special day. I need a whole post for it. I can hear her breathing as I sit here and type. Once in awhile she will sigh in her sleep. It's so adorable. She stretches her arms over head while she sleeps and plays with her hair at times. Before nap and bedtime, I have been stroking her hair and face. This seems to comfort her and puts her out. Well, last night something really magical happened. I was holding her and giving her her bottle. She wanted to hold the bottle so with my free hand I began stroking the side of her face and pushing her hair off her face gently. She looked up at me and touched my face the same way and lay there stroking my hair and face for like 5 minutes. Oh, my, does this girl own my heart!!!

12 comments:

Wyndee said...

Jen-

I'm so so so so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John and Nancy said...

Hi Jen! So happy to hear that things are going so amazingly well! I hope the next few days, while they may be more difficult at times, bring even more magic to your new family. We miss you guys and cannot wait to see photos!
Love,
Nancy and John

Ellie said...

Oh, goodness, Jen!!! Thanks for sharing all the details! Love reading your posts! We're so very happy for you and your sweet little angel! Sounds like Anna is every bit as wonderful as we imagined! You all continue to be in our prayers!
Love,
Ellie and family

Megan said...

Oh my goodness, Jen! So wonderful sounding! I have goosebumps over your last story, girl!! Your happiness and contentment just oozes out of the computer. It sounds like utter bliss!! I am glad things are going well. I will be praying for the next step to continue peacefully!! Thanks for sharing! I am checking all the blogs of families there right now alot for news. Loving it!!

Love, Megan

christina said...

those are such sweet tender moments that you are sharing with Ruby and creating so many wonderful memories too! So lovely, it's great!
xoxo

rosemary said...

Oh Jen, I am just eating up every word you type so keep these long posts coming! We want all the details! We are so glad that you guys are finally a family! It's wonderful stuff!!

Jessica said...

So good to hearing things are continuing to going so well. And that you're had such good bonding time before heading back to BKK. It all sounds like a dream.

Hope things continue to go just as well as you transition more toward home.

dawn said...

This will come as no surprise to you but I am crying! Not just little tears but the ugly cry!
So happy for you all. Oh I wish i could see you together.

emily said...

we are eating all this up! following along every step of the way!

to more & more & a lifetime of bliss...!

Carey and Norman said...

Oh, Jen. This post just makes my heart happy and a smile go across my face. I'm so glad that Ruby is doing so well and is enjoying your company. I love the story of her rubbing your face as you had hers. I can just picture it in my mind. I cannot wait to hear more about your time in Thailand!

Much Love!!

Chris and Terri said...

HAHAHA - I think she stole your heart a long time again girl!

She sounds amazing! I'm so excited for you guys! I have happy tears in my eyes and cold chills thinking about your post. So happy she is bonding so well with you guys!

Mireille said...

Oh Jen!! She is the sweetest most precious girl I can think of. The way she comforts you the same you do to her. She is one special little lady!! I love her already, just from your stories!!