Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One Happy Holiday Weekend


Love the shot of everyone getting ready to dig into the food! We had a very casual little cook out on Monday to celebrate the beginning of our new family and the end of summer. The air is already feeling like fall. Crisp and a tiny bit cool, but still sunny and comfortable. I just love fall. Hoping our Ruby will, too, but guessing she might be a little chilly at first! Good thing she has two very willing subjects ready to snuggle up with her cuteness!

Jeff's parents came down for a wedding on Saturday and while they were at the vineyard having a good time, Jeff & I had a fun time packing, shopping, and talking about our trip! Bought Ruby the CUTEST Snow White costume at the Disney Store. I know. It is far too soon and would be very scary to actually do Halloween this year. But the ensemble was too cute to pass up so we got it for her to play dress up and for Mommy to snap a few quick pics! The smallest size was 2/3 so I am thinking she could also wear it next year. Hey, be proud of me for only stopping at one! Those costumes are ADORABLE and I've held out 2 whole years already. I could wait no longer - it was coming home!

Ruby's suitcase is packed. And quite full, I might add. I bought so many summer things because we thought we were moving to FL at the time. Well, she may not fit into the 18-24 month next Spring, so I figured I would just pack it ALL. She'll have a different outfit on every day of the trip! LOL! But hey, at least I won't have to do as much laundry!

Next came the orphanage suitcase. Again, fully packed. Soft blocks, toddler toothbrushes, toddler paste, neosporin, band-aids, dolls, shoes, clothes, etc. Then came mine. Yea. We are still trying to figure out how to get my toiletries, special hair dryer, not to mention shoes in it with all the clothes that are already in there. Hey, a girl has to be prepared! LOL. Actually, mine is almost done and we will finish and pack Jeff's tonight. He is easy, thank God, so we can put whatever didn't fit in all the other suitcases in with his!

I have to stop at the Target and pick up some Baby Einstein DVD's for the orphanage (now that Anna told me they have a DVD player). Other than that, we are DONE!!! House is clean. My neighbors are watching the dog and getting the mail. My husband is painting the newly fixed banister as we speak. My brother is taking care of the cat, the cat box, and the trash. God bless him, he is really going all out for us! For Jeff's birthday present and our homecoming, he is having his cleaning woman do the house before we get back and stocking the fridge with produce, milk, and misc. perishables. How lucky are we? (Thanks, Jase!)

Since we got so much done, it was easy to have a few people over and have some fun. Of course, my in-laws were on hand and helped us SOOO much this weekend. Jeff and Woody were painting shutters, repairing stuff, and working on guy stuff. Larae & I cooked up a new recipe in the kitchen together - a stuffed eggplant with feta, tomato, walnut, and onion. Good, but we want to perfect the recipe a bit before sharing! :-) My brother Jason came early to install a new banister at the top of the stairs so we can then install the baby gate that didn't fit on the old one. Lots of team work and lots of love around here!

5 comments:

Kam said...

Yay for you! Sounds like you have checked just about everything off of those lists of yours! You're almost there!

And Syd had that Snow White costume from the Disney Store too! She was so beautiful...I took her to have her photo professionally made! LOL! One of my all time faves of her though!

Happy sleeping! The board meeting is starting right now and hey! You and I will be at the NEXT one!!!!

emily said...

oh my goodness. i am getting so excited for you guys. i keep going about my business but your family remains in the back of my mind. i am counting down the days along with you both. not too many more to count! blessing upon blessings over you all my sweet friend, I will be following along with baited breath.

xoxoxo

rosemary said...

I am so glad that you have such a willing and helpful team surrounding you guys. All your preparations sound great. I know this is going to be the best time of your lives!

christina said...

a special hairdryer?! Jen, you crack me up, no wonder you always look so put together. I just pulled my hair back with a band and called it a day. I can't wait to read updates from Thailand!

Maci Miller said...

LOL, Christina! Yea, it's this fab dryer with a cool button and ceramic tourmaline technology. Smooths your hair in a jiffy! Cuts my routine in half and a good blowout will last me 3 days. But yea, there will be plenty of pony tail days, too!