Sunday, October 4, 2009

Breakthrough!

Ruby pet the dog! She was better with both the cat and dog today and I am so relieved. Yesterday's introduction to the dog did NOT go well. I had to carry her for 3 hours cause she was afraid to get down, even after we put gates up between us. I was dying to clean so I strapped her into the Ergo and did laundry, dishes, and counter wiping one handed. I am woman, hear me roar! LOL! Today she relaxed a lot more and would only fuss if the dog came near. The dog has been REALLY good with her and chill. And our dog is not usually a chilled out sort of dog so this is really saying something. Well, poor Chloe just loves to be wherever I am so after behaving and staying away for hours this morning, she slowly came creeping over to me and Ruby where we were sitting on the playroom floor (on a blanket, of course). Ruby was sitting on my lap when the dog came in, head down, eyes pleading for attention. I was ready for Ruby to wail, but instead she just studied her. I pet Chloe and she watched. Before going in the play room she had watched carefully as Jeff sat on the floor and brushed Chloe. This relaxed her a lot. So when Chloe was sitting next to us, I took her hand over... and she pet her! I thought it would take months to get that far! She is still not 100% fine with either the cat or dog, but we have had a serious breakthrough!  We also put her doll in the Bugaboo and pushed it around the house a bit. After several laps, I encouraged Ruby to sit in it. She did! And she was even good about me strapping her in! Now we just have to work on that car seat...

7 comments:

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Hayden was terrified of our dogs!! She screamed if she even heard them barking downstairs!! It was really touch and go the first 48!! I wasn't sure what we were going to do. She broke through quick, and you would never know it today that she was so afraid of them. She bosses them around so much, and loves on them, gets in trouble with them!! They are all partners in crime:)

Glad you made it home safe and sound. I can't believe you sound so calm about the squirrels....OMGosh I would have totally freaked. So sorry you had to deal with that, and I am so glad you had someone staying at your house, can you imagine if you had not, and what would have happend?? Oh lord that raises my blood pressure just thinking about it:)
Enjoy being at home, and I am so glad that Ruby is adjusting and attaching so well. You have done a great job!!

Jessica said...

You're home. As a family! Congratulations. That's horrible about the squirrels (my garage still smells from a skunk incident this summer, so I can commiserate a little), but just look at all the things you can say WE MADE IT THROUGH. Nothing was going to stop you from being a family. Not even an angry mob of hellbent squirrels. Here's to many more beautiful days of growing together (including the cat and dog).

Megan said...

I am glad Ruby seems to be getting more comfortable with Chloe! You will be truly amazed at how quickly our kiddos are able to move through their anxiety to a more comfortable peace. Especially with such understanding parents, providing all the love and security she needs!!
Love, Megan

rosemary said...

Sounds like she is making FAST progress! I bet Ruby and Chloe will be best friends before you know it!

Anonymous said...

awhhh that is exciting that she has overcome her woofer fear, I am trying to get our dogs used to not being with us ALL of the time when we are at home, just incase our child is scared of dogs too.

Hannah said...

So glad you are home and although it sounds rocky things are looking up. :)

Mireille said...

Every day a few mile stones! Before you know it she is adjusted to the dog, cat, the house, environment and you can't even remember life without her!! So happy for you that it is going so well!! Love, M