Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rough Nights, Blissful Days

Well, we have had some rough sleeping habits around here, but other than that, life is GOOD. I think we had a delayed reaction jet lag cause by the 3rd day home Ruby was up very early every morning. And by early, I mean 2 am one day, 4 am a few times, and yesterday 6am but with a lot of tossing and turning all night. Today we were up at 4:30. Poor kid. I think she is all turned around. She's a happy little camper once she's up and she is pretty easy to get to bed both for nap time and at night. It's just in the morning. Once she is up, she is up - no matter how dark it is or how early! The other day when she was up at 2, I tried EVERYTHING. Gave her another bottle of milk, tried a bottle of water, sang my entire collection of lullabies and then some, tried to look at books together, had the lights way low... but nothing worked. I was exhausted and SO wanted us to go back to sleep! But then she just looked up at me and gave me the sweetest, happy little smile and I thought to myself - look how lucky I am! I just smiled back and said, okay, you know what? Let's get up and play! And play we did. At 3 am, Daddy had heard us and got up and the 3 of us played dress up. I put her Snow White costume on her which she LOVED. She smiled BIG when I gave her the pretty blue shoes that go with it and loved her Thai costumes, too. It was really cute. How we love her! I can always sleep later, but this precious time with her is awesome. I waited years to hold her, play with her, and see her smile and so I decided that tired is okay to bear for awhile. Being with her and seeing her happy is all that really matters. We can catch up on sleep later.

We had some great moments this week. Which is a funny thing to say, really, cause almost every moment is great with her. Even the dumb little stuff! Oh, yea, she is a toddler and will whine sometimes or fuss, but really it's no big deal. Usually over in a few minutes and she is back to happy again. But anyway, here are some highlights:

She met Grandma Donna on Tuesday! That's my mom. She LOVED her. And I mean LOVED her. Actually went to her twice over me which really surprised me, but it was okay cause she knows who Mommy is. (I also scooped her right back!) My mom brought her some 18 month fall clothes which was so great of her since I barely have any pants that fit her ity-bity waist! I think 12 months pants will fit her waist better, but then they will be too short. So we are going to venture out today and try to get a few 18 mo. leggings. They seem to work the best for now. Thank God for the 2 pair my friend Mireille bought her! (Thanks, Mireille!) They were the only pants that I had to fit her aside from the 2 summer pair we put on her in Bkk. Anyway, it was a really great visit and Ruby played, kissed, hugged, and was held by her Grandma. She loved every minute of it...and my mom did, too! Thanks so much for coming, Mom!!! She gets to meet Grandma and Grandpa Kitzmiller this weekend. We can't wait for that meeting also!

 Jeff and I took her to the grocery store the other day and got her in the car seat. We also went to the park. As we were walking, Jeff turned and looked at me and said, "look at us... here we are!" We had walked that park so many times. Walking and talking about Ruby. Day dreaming and venting about the wait and wondering what it would be like to walk the park as a family...and here we were doing it! Ruby was great on both trips. Only fussed for a minute in the car seat. The first time, I sat next to her in the back. The second time I drove and my mom sat next to her on the way to Dr's office. So I was feeling brave, and took her by myself to the park the next day... and she was awesome! Great in the car seat, great in the car, likes her stroller, and was happy on the swing. It was such a pretty, fall day yesterday. I felt like I was in a day dream except that it's REAL! Ruby is everything I had hoped she would be and so much more. She is not challenging me so much anymore unless she is real cranky before nap or bedtime. She's really an easy going kid. I can't say enough how lucky we are! The days are so happy now and yea, we are sleepy, but it's a happy, dreamy kind of tired and that's okay with me!

4 comments:

Nadine, Conn & Suri said...

oh Jen so sweet. I love hearing these stories and how you connect everything together with before now and the future.

Ellie said...

Awww, Jen! The walk in the park story got me teared up! I REMEMBER so many times you've daydreamed of the day when you would be able to take Ruby to the park... practicing with your friend's little girl. You're REALLY at that moment! No more daydreaming! Just living ahead! So happy for you, my friend!

excitedtobeafamily said...

Yeah, I am so happy for your family! She sounds like a little angel. I can't wait to see family pictures one day?

Mireille said...

Oh Jen, life is bliss!