Sunday, October 18, 2009

Can't Rain On Our Parade!

Well the cool, rainy weather didn't dampen our spirits this weekend! Had such a nice weekend with the little love. Slept 2 nights in a row and went down easily tonight at 8 pm so we are back on schedule. I hope! She was so sweet tonight and wiggled around until she positioned her head so that she could look straight at me while I was singing to her. I just stopped and smiled at her and even with the bottle in her mouth she smiled too. Moments like that are just so amazing I could pinch myself. She is such a precious little girl and we have such a strong bond already. I am really blessed! She didn't even get a nap today, but was so happy and cute all day. Guess it's cause she slept 12 hours last night. Maybe we are finally getting back to those Bkk sleeping habits! :-)

Her Daddy was a gem this weekend and cooked breakfast this morning, did the dishes, and baked us a pumpkin pie! What a man! He knew I felt a little overwhelmed last week and wanted to help. We all had such a great weekend together. Yesterday, Ruby reveled in having Daddy all day to play with. They really bonded a lot this weekend and it's so awesome to see. Last evening, we had a play date at our friend Charlsey & John's house and it was really fun to see the kids playing together. Today we had a fun, impromptu visit from our friends Kimi & Chris with their kids. A great visit! I was bummed that we missed their daughter's birthday party on Friday since Ruby had a tummy ache and hadn't slept well. So Kimi brought Ruby a bag of favors and a gift from her daughter. How sweet is that? This disorganized (and at the time frazzled) Mommy hadn't even had time or energy to get HER daughter a birthday present yet! Of course, my friend didn't care, but I DID! 

My Dad & his fiance, Lynn came for a visit today, too. They got here at 2 and we had a really nice visit with them and ate Jeff's yummy pumpkin pie. They brought Ruby that CUTEST outfit and a sweet little purse that she loved and a piggy bank with green polka dots on it that happen to match her crib sheets exactly. Too cute. Ruby was all talkative and playful while they were here and it was cute to see her with my Dad. She hugged his leg almost right away! It's also interesting that she seems more relaxed and is more "herself" around adults or with just one or two people. When she is with our friends and their kids she clams up a bit. Seems to have fun with the kids, for sure, but a bit shy and quiet. I wonder if it's too soon for all the visits??? Jeff thinks it's good to get her interacting with kids a lot and we should keep doing it. I'll have to check my adoption/attachment books for a reference. If anyone has a quick answer for this, let me know! I remember a lot about attachment, but not as it pertains to social interaction with other kids.

Have several things to research tonight and then I am off to catch some zzz's. I want to get up early tomorrow before Ruby and get a jump start on my week. I've somehow lost a pair of Ruby's pants and for the life of me I have to find them cause it's driving me nuts. Probably in one of the 4 clean laundry baskets laying around needing to be put away. I looked through them but maybe they are at the bottom or something. Combed the whole house (and so did Jeff) and yet the mystery remains. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

So glad that it looks like things are settling themselves. Hope your week is as happy as the weekend!

Chris and Terri said...

Great to see things are going well. I was thinking the books related to visits were more for the adults who come over. Don't really remember reading anything about kids but I need to brush up on those as well. Maybe just explain Susie is coming over to play and she will leave with her Mommy and Daddy and they will all go home to their house so Ruby never thinks Susie is moving in.

Missing clothes bother me. Lost the Christmas sweaters one year. They were behind the toy box and I found them with only hours to spare. The car keys (which were lost for 2 years) were in the bottom of the toy box. LOL

Julie said...

Hi Jen, so pleased you have been able to get some sleep. It is such a hige adjustment when you first get back.
Take care
Julie

rosemary said...

It's wonderful that she is doing so great w/ company and that you guys ahve been able to have visitors! I know that I am already dreading the recommended "limiting your company" time.

I wonder if maybe because of her orphanage time she feels a little confused around other children like "What are the relationships here and what are the boundaries?" Whereas adults have always caregivers so that is a clearer distinction to her. Maybe? I'm just spitballing.