Monday, December 7, 2009

New Words/Foods/Experiences

Words: She actually said "thank you" for the first time - unprompted - on Thanksgiving day! I handed her a pretzel in the car and she said it. Good thing I was in the car with my seat belt on or I would have fallen off my chair! She had repeated it a few times when I said it but I never knew she knew how to use the word.  Now she says it often if I hand her something. Other new words include: "there you go", okay, hooray, and come on. She actually said "Come on Max" yesterday morning to our cat to get him to come have his treats! She loves to feed and give treats to the cat and dog. Learning more animal sounds, too, and "ee-i" (Old MacDonald) continues to be her favorite song along with "If your Happy and You Know it". She does all the right parts to it and I just have to get it on video soon.

New foods she's tried recently: turkey (but doesn't like gravy), pancakes (but not syrup), cereal, granola, salad with ginger dressing, edamame (she's not sure about this one), salmon, pears, peaches, raisins, milk, oatmeal cookies, and sunflower butter. Getting more adventurous but we still stick to mainly fruit, veggies, toast, eggs (in am) and rice, noodles, soup, or pasta for dinners with veggies and chicken. Sometimes fish. We found out that almost anything mixed with rice will work for her. Must be a texture thing. She also loves carrot/ginger soup. Yum. So do I!

New experiences: She saw snow for the first time on Saturday. I must say she wasn't overly impressed. Kind of stared in wonder for a minute and then was like, okay, let's go downstairs and play now! When we get a big snow that lays and she can play in it, maybe that will be a different story! We decided to stay in all day yesterday and it was so nice. We did a big pan of roasted veggies with roasted chicken for dinner (mixed with rice and chicken stock for Ruby). Before dinner, Ruby and I made oatmeal cookies together. She was so cute and very proud of herself as we worked side by side. She took such pride in each step and especially liked licking the spoon! (I must add here that I am having camera withdrawal as I left my camera at my Mom's last weekend! Missed so many shots this weekend! Luckily, Mom is coming for a visit tomorrow and is bringing it). 

Anyway, we gave her a couple cookies after dinner with some milk and she liked it. She hadn't had cold milk in a cup before, but the lure of dunking a cookie in it must have made it too exciting to resist! I made the cookies with half whole wheat flour and must admit they could have been better. May try a different type tonight. But, still, the experience of baking cookies with my daughter and then all 3 of us decorating the tree was just immeasurable. Lots of wonderful new experiences this weekend! Birthday party, bounce-house, snow, baking, Christmas tree...good stuff!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds just wonderful! So glad Ruby is making Christmas prep merry and bright. You guys are on a roll!

rosemary said...

Hvae you ever tried Dr. Oetkers mixes? You can buy them at health food stores (or Whole Foods) and they are whole wheat cookie and cake mixes so they're really easy when you're in a rush but need a healthy treat and I think they're delicious. Even my husband likes them. Wish I had been there for your girly baking day!!

Ellie said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, Jen!! I like to use half whole wheat and half white, too. There are some good whole wheat flours that don't taste/feel like whole wheat. There is a whole wheat pastry flour in the bulk foods at Whole Foods that's good. Even better, though is Whole Wheat White Flour from Trader Joe's. I LOVE baking!!! You're speaking my language! :)

Love hearing all of your fun stories, friend!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks for the advice girls! I am determined to make cookies that are healthy but actually taste good! Ellie and Roses - send any and all ideas and recipes! I love to bake too. Such a warm and fuzzy thing to do. Cooking for me requires more time and patience and following a recipe exactly, while baking to me is more soothing. And may I add... yummy!