Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Boots & The Alphabet


Ruby's favorite things at the moment. First, the boots. Could they be any cuter? Got them for her upcoming party but gave them to her early. Had to know if they fit, and figured me might as well get some use out of them. She wore them to music class today. She loves to pick out her shoes. Still has them on...with her jammies again. It's so funny cause they nearly come up to her knees! Got some appreciative smiles and a few laughs today. :-) I can tell we are gonna get some good wear out of them which is great cause they cost far more than a kids shoe should cost! But, hey, I'm a sucker for a theme and they were the only girlie red boots I found after weeks of searching online. I bought them a size bigger, too, so she'll be able to wear them for a good while. In case anyone is interested, I bought them from a company called Drysdales.com and they come in pink, too!

Now for the alphabet. I am floored. I can not express enough how great Starfall.com is! Ruby requests it nearly every day. If I point to a letter and ask her what it is she will answer nearly all of them correct. She doesn't always know E (says eh), Q, S, T, V, & X and she has trouble pronouncing F, S, X, & W. But coming along really well. She's mildly obsessed with the letters A, O, and U. Think she likes the pics and graphics. It's really so great. Believe it or not I have really changed my tune about TV - as long as it is somewhat educational. Ruby has learned so much from her Baby Einstein music dvd. She counts to ten clearly now. She learned tons of words from Dora, Mickey Mouse, and Little Einsteins. Along with lots of music on the last one. The other day a song was playing and it was a violin part. They didn't mention any instruments but I recognized it as a violin. I look over and Ruby is playing an imaginary violin! I was like YES, RUBY! That is a violin playing! Nearly fell off my chair.

I know I gush on and on but I am so proud of every little achievement - great or small. It's all new to me, too, so I didn't know what to expect. Thought it would be much harder for her. It's just such an incredible thing to watch a child learning and growing and enjoying the world around her. When I think about the grave reports we got on her last year, I feel so blessed. She can hear, she can understand us and communicate what she wants, and she is happy!

Her early intervention teacher gave us a great report yesterday. Her fine motor is caught up and on target! And language is very close, too! I am so thrilled. She said recognizing and saying the alphabet is actually not just on target, but advanced! Wow, we have come a long way. Every day she is saying more short sentences and clearly asking for things. WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU, RUBY!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! That is wonderful news about Ruby's accomplishments.

Kam said...

Yay for Ruby!!! How fun that she is learning and excited about it! Love that she got such a good report. Way to go, mama! You're doing great!

Joel knows his alphabet too. He's learned using a Little Einstein laptop for kids. He plays so many games on it while I school the girls! He's always so proud of himself too!

Have a great weekend!

dawn said...

Phew, that was alot to catch up on! Love the boots, a sucker for Cowboy boots here too.
Ruby's party is going to be wonderful, so wonderful.
I don't think T.V. is all bad. It depends what they watch. Some of the stuff that Lily would love to see would rot her teeth it is so dreadful but I say....sorry Charlie! and she is OK with it.

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Yahoo for Ruby!! That is awesome. We watch Sesame Street and Hayden is mildly obsessed I will say. She ask for Street everyday!! She has learned so much that it floors me!! I love it because I loved SS too when I was a kid.

LOVE the boots!!! That girl has style:)

Wyndee said...

Recognizing the alphabet at age 3? Heck yeah, that's advanced!!!! Go Ruby!!!