Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Big Girl Pants & Books

Well, here they are. Ruby's first big girl pants. Went to Gymboree yesterday to pick up a few and these are the ones she wanted to wear first. We got horses and giraffes but "ICE CREAM!" was her favorite. She will surely kill me for posting this later on when I show this book to her high school boyfriend. Ha ha, no I would never do that. Hmmm...well, it depends if I like him or not. LOL. No, okay, I wouldn't. But it was a big event yesterday. After a couple accidents in her diaper Sunday and Monday - both while watching TV - we got back on track yesterday. We watched no TV, I asked her about the potty every 20 minutes, and we had a dry diaper all day. Hooray! I have to wonder if you really train them at first or if you are just training YOU to pay closer attention and get them on that pot! But low and behold, she is really getting it and even went while out at Barnes & Nobles yesterday. She knows the difference between wet and dry now and will tell me honestly which one it is. She was really proud of her big girl undies and equally proud to tell me DRY!

So on to the next subject...
Had a lovely morning at Barnes & Nobles yesterday. I've been wanting to get her more into books (and less into TV) so we went to a story reading they have weekly in their kids section. She listened a little to the first story and wandered around a bit during the 2nd two. I thought, well, maybe it's gonna take a few weeks till she really gets it. After the stories, the sweet man whipped out his guitar and did a few songs for the kids. Of course, THIS got Ruby's attention! Yes, my little groupie marched straight up to the front and stood right in front of the guy. She kept getting closer and closer and eventually had her hand on his knee. Yea, I know. I gotta work on that over-friendliness soon so she doesn't go to strangers. She doesn't go to just anyone though. It's only with people I am friendly with...or of course, anyone with an instrument. I thought she was gonna be on his lap or grabbing for the guitar by the 3rd song! Thankfully she just stayed there, staring in awe and glee. Yes, we definitely need to work on safe boundaries with people but, boy, that kid sure does love music! Mr. George finished up the last song and pulled out a parachute much to the kids amusement. He passed out a stuffed animal for them to toss on top and they shook away and bounced the little animals till they nearly fell out onto the floor. A good time was had by all. 

Not wanting the fun to end, I decided to take the little miss to the coffee shop for a snack. I let her pick what she wanted and she chose a big blueberry muffin. We snacked happily, hit the potty, and bought a nice book with gorgeous photos of baby animals. Then we went to the mall to which she exclaimed MALL! MALL! when we walked in. LOL, Mommy soooo gets it little girl. I get that same spring in my step when entering the mall!

Last night after dinner, instead of popping in a video or putting on one of her shows I asked her if she'd like to read her new animal book with me. I expected a protest or plead for TV, but she said yes! Not only did we look at that one but also a counting book, picture book, and then she let me READ 2 Dr. Suess books to her! Wow, maybe she DID get it! Her favorite was "Hand, Hand, Thumb, Thumb" She thought this was wildly amusing since it had a few of her favorite things - monkeys, drums, and making noise!

Reading books and using the potty! Serious progress this week...and it's only Tuesday!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Go Miss Ruby! Ice cream undies and new books - that is a good day. Im so excited to get to go to storytime. I think I might start at the library and move up to barnes and noble. Otherwise I'll be buying new books weekly.

Maci Miller said...

Yea, I am afraid of that too, Jess! I joined my local library but have to check back on when they have story time. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

There is a great Thai children's book that Lyla loves Peek-A Thai Hide and Seek book by Minfong Ho. It has animals and noises.

Maci Miller said...

Thank, Liz. Yea, we have that one, too and also one called "Hush, A Thai Lullaby" by the same author. Ruby loves the Peek a boo one. Both are sweet.

excitedtobeafamily said...

Yeah, for potty and books! We love books over here. I have a excellent book list for kids her age. I love getting books off good book lists! She is getting so big!

Ellie said...

Love that she loves music so much! So much like Mommy!

I can still recite that "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb" book in it's entirity! ... One thumb, one thumb drumming on a drum...

Cute!