Monday, April 26, 2010

Let's Talk About Adjustment

You know, I was reading another blog the other day and it got me thinking. The blogger was saying how hard the adjustment is and how anyone that says it isn't is just not honest. Okay. Let's talk about that. Is being positive considered denial? I wondered, hmmm, do people think that of me? That I am just painting a rosy picture? When I look back on the last 6 months, what sticks out? Is it the tired mornings, arguments with my husband after Ruby was in bed, or the disorganization in my home and life that I will remember? Surely I have complained about my house being a mess and my being tired. But, no. That isn't what sticks out. It's the morning cuddles, the big smiles, the random hugs and kisses, a million laughs, the family weekends, the little accomplishments and the big ones. Those are the things that have colored the last 6 months of my life. And they have been incredible.

In my "6 Months As A Family" post I said our adjustment was easy. In many ways it was. Far easier than I ever imagined. But that was probably because I read so many horror stories that I was expecting it to be a hell of a lot worse! Yea, there was adjustment. Times she didn't want to listen and many times she didn't want to sleep. I often posted about the complications but I didn't view them as a horrible adjustment. It was just an adjustment. I didn't talk about my husband and I bickering, because, quite frankly, I was embarrassed. We have a happy and strong marriage and I couldn't believe we could be arguing during the happiest time of our life. But it was stressful at times. I'd say that was our biggest adjustment. Being Ruby's parents was the easy part! Trying to juggle working in the home with our beautiful new child home was a challenge for Jeff. He was so torn and stressed. I also leaned on him a lot in the beginning and as much as he wanted to be with us, he needed to get some work done, too. As new parents do (and I have asked around) there is not only an adjustment but also a power play. Who is doing more, needing more help, etc. Sprinkled throughout those first few months, though, were also some of the happiest and most amazing times of our lives. I choose to blog about the positive and happy times because that is what is important and what sticks around in the long haul. Jeff and I are stronger for it and we have learned and grown much these last few months.

Ruby was pretty easy. I didn't exaggerate. And yes I know how rare this is and how lucky I am. Sure she has her moments and tests my patience. All kids do. But we were blessed that she attached to us right away and hasn't had many issues. I am well aware that lightening probably won't strike twice and #2 may give us a run for our money! Our main issues were health and giardia and striking a balance between work and family, sleep and play, spoiling but not spoiling too much, teaching but not pushing too much. There were days that were exhausting and days of sheer bliss. Days (even now) when she will challenge and days were she is so good I just have to pinch myself that I get to be her mother. But in case you were wondering if life really is THAT rosy around here, well, I'm gonna have to say YES. Being around Ruby just brings it out in you, no matter what else is going on. Kids make you slow down and appreciate things more. The simple things. The rainy days and the sunny days. Cause after all, isn't every day sunny when you stop to appreciate how truly blessed you are?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple things have become so beautiful since having Lyla in my life. You said this so perfectly. Our children are blessings without a doubt. Maybe it was the wait we had to make us truly appreciate every moment hard or easy. I certainly have not been let down since Lyla joined us. It has actually been a million times better than I ever expected. Great way to describe how lucky we are to have our beautiful children.

Jessica said...

I always love reading the first months home posts bc obviously we havent gotten this far in our journey and its good to know all of the possibilties. Getting to be on this journey with you, Jeff and Ruby has been a joy.

I think that learning to be a family is an adjustment for the whole family. The dynamics change and we have to learn how to change with it. Watching you all "grow" into your new family has been beautiful; thanks for letting me be a part of it.

rosemary said...

What a lovely post! You are such a positive person and Ruby is such a wonderful little girl that I'm thrilled to hear things are rosy in PA!! XOXO

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

You know I would have to same I feel the same way. I think I had envisioned this transition to be REALLY hard, and I had thought we would have so many more issues to work through with Hayden. But most of those things did not come to fruition. Yes becoming a mom to an internationally adopted child was a transition, but so was getting married, starting college, going out into the work world. All of those events require a great deal of responsibility and dedication(not on the same level) but I feel like we have worked through what changes we needed to make and moved forward. I would love to read this persons blog!!

I think I still have to try and balance being a mom and being a wife. I think that is the toughest transition to make. I am really tired when I finally get Hayden to bed. My husband is super about helping, but he works hard all day at work and comes home tired too. When we have time alone it is hard to make the conversation be about anything other than Hayden...she is the center of our world right now, and so we tend to talk about her or make decisions about her.

Yes I am tired, yes my house is a mess, yes I hardly do anything for myself these days....but that was the choice I made to be Hayden's mom and I would not trade one of those things!!

I blog to keep in touch with family and friends, I blog to keep track of events, and I blog for some kind of online scrapbook for Hayden(a real one will be made too) and so I am not likely to blog about the days that are full of challenges, or stress. I am glad that there are moms out there that blog and keep it real...but I don't think they are blogging for their kids to read someday as a memorable journey through their childhood..

I am so glad things are going well, and you and Ruby as happy little clams!! Wishing you lot's of sunny days!!

Nichole and Craig said...

We feel the exact same way with Jaxin. Sure he may get up during the night sometimes, but so does my friends non-adopted two year old.
He is truly our Thai pride and joy.
Craig is scared to adopt number two in case it isn't so rosy 8-)

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, everyone! Getting to know all of you has been wonderful! I'm glad we could share our journeys together!

Mireille said...

I am so happy that adjustments are going well, and yes a positive attitude helps. Keeping it real is great but you don't need to blog about the bickering moments, since these are moments and NOT the overall moments of your happy life!

Nadine, Conn & Suri said...

So Funny Jen... we feel the exact same way..There have been challenges in having a child and becoming parents but there have truly been many more wonderful moments. Suri has adjusted so well, a true gem, its like she has been here forever...I giggled while reading your post because thought you were in my head...too funny. So glad to have been blessed with such a good transition...