Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Luckiest Parents On The Planet (sorry...another very long post!)

Okay, I'm sure most parents feel that way (or SHOULD) but we have really felt that way since the day we met Ruby. Especially today. For one, our baby is okay. So relieved! Went through the surgery and post-op like a champ. The doc came out in less than 10 minutes to say it went very well and her ears are fine.  Great dr. and the whole staff there is fantastic with kids. Ruby had no nausea or pain (that we can tell so far) and no complications. For two, she is the most amazing child we have ever known. We are constantly in awe of her. So strong, sweet, happy...under nearly any circumstance. Okay, unless you ask her to share one of her favorite toys or books! :-)

When she was given meds (they called "giggle juice") the nurse warned us it tasted bad. Rubes took it down with no fuss. When she took her blood pressure she told Ruby it was going to give her arm a hug. (Smart lady!) Ruby loved this and after the first time said AGAIN! She thought the toe thing (to test her oxygen) was fun, too. LOL, this kid thinks everything is an accessory! The one nurse said she was the best patient they ever had! Of course, not taking anything away from our angel, but they do a GREAT job there. Had Dora on tv for her to watch, lots of sweet nurses, stickers and popsicles at the end.

The doctor,  radiologist, and every nurse we met warned us that kids wake up from anesthesia cranky, scared, out of it, and often screaming and thrashing about. Not her Rubiness. Our sweet baby woke up with a stretch, a yawn, a scratch of her nose, and a smile. So proud of her! She was groggy, but not cranky or scared at all. So glad she didn't get sick! (Jeff and I think she's got an iron stomach now that she got past that giardia). The nurse couldn't believe how sweet she woke up. This lady was there through it all and was the best. She actually insisted on carrying Ruby all the way to the car and gave her an extra popsicle and stickers. Said Ruby made her day! She sure made ours too!

But let me back track here...
This is how we started our morning: Got her up 5 minutes before we left the house. Changed her diaper while she was still out and left her in her jammies. She wasn't allowed to have anything to eat or drink so they advised me that this was the best way to go. I woke Ruby up gently as I picked her up. I said, "Ruby's gonna sleep in the car, honey. We are going for a little ride this morning...Ruby, Mommy, & Pa." Her reply? "Sleep. Car. Okay!" All with a sleepy little smile on her face. Such a darling. We got in the car and this is what I saw every time I turned around to look at her.
How can you love a little person so much and be sure your love couldn't possibly get much bigger than what you are feeling... and then -with one sweet smile - you love her even MORE than your heart ever imagined possible??? I was as thrilled as she was when they invited me to snuggle up with her on the hospital bed. Daddy sat right next to us. Was so glad he was able to break away from work and be there with us.
These are the cute jammies they gave her. She loves yellow and trying things on lately so she was very excited about the clothing change. So cute is this kid. She acted like this was some fun excursion we were on. I so love that about her. Just treats every new day and thing like a great adventure...eager to see what is next. So much she is teaching me! 
Her favorite things came with us: Penguin (all time fav), Abby Cadabby (newest favorite), her butterfly pillow of which she can not sleep without, and her Disney princess blanket. 
When the nurses came to wheel her away I thought my heart would break. Ruby was so sweet and handled it great so I held it together. The nurses asked her if she'd like to take a little ride with them. She was a bit woosie at this point and gladly went. Those same nurses made a point to come out later to tell us she did great and was soooo cute in there. Silly and happy and just fine. I think she charmed just about everyone in the clinic today!

How blessed we are to have you in our lives, sweet Ruby! Thanking God you are healthy and happy and bouncing around now. (Been watching her, Tinker Bell, and Princess & The Frog while typing this so it's taken awhile). She never got sick on the way home, has held down food all day and is now dancing. She is - quite literally - bouncing back!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

So glad that Ruby handled surgery like a champ. How is it possible she can still look cute in hospital garb? Yay, Ruby, and yay, you too momma, for making it through. I sure hope someone gave you a sticker!

dawn said...

Absolutely wonderful....that is your Ruby.
Can you tell yet if she can hear more? When my friends daughter had this done she was amazed at all the things she could hear and spent days pointing out all the new noises it was just wonderful.

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

awwwww your Rubiness is true royality, princess' handle everything with grace and dignity!

I am so glad that she got through this with flying colors and I think your winter will be much healthier than last winter. I am just glad it is over.

I know how you feel when it comes to loving these girls. I seriously think my heart is going to break if I love her any more, and each day she does something or says something and I think to myself I am so LUCKY and good gracious does everyone love their child this much?? Because man do I love this kid. So so relatable. I can't believe I lived this long without this child pouring into every cell of my body!!

Glad she is well and quickly on the mend. Love the ponies and we are a bit fond of the abbie kadabbie as well at our house.

Hugs to her Rubiness!!!

Maci Miller said...

Dawn - Not sure about the hearing yet. She is definitely more chatting and seems to be "trying out" new sounds with her vocals a bit. She covered her ear when a public toilet flushed yesterday so maybe things seem louder now. Another parent mentioned this happened to their daughter. She still has discharge out of her ears a bit and had a slight fever yesterday so maybe in another week we will start to notice even more changes. So exciting!

Jules and Jess - thanks! She really is my little princess! Wish you all lived closer! (Dawn, too!)

Ellie said...

Awww!!! Jen! I was behind on your posts!!!! So glad Ruby came through with flying colors!! She sounds absolutely precious!!! I can't wait to meet her in person someday! I LOVE your pics of her snuggled up with all her special things.

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, Ellie! I can't wait for you to meet her too...when we come to meet LILY!!!