Friday, September 17, 2010

For The Love of Quiche

Tonight I am tired. But it is a happy exhaustion. I got so much done today. Did a lot laundry, put away the 4 baskets full of clean clothes that have been upstairs for a week, cleaned the house, made 2 homemade quiche with 2 homemade crusts AND my kitchen is actually clean in the aftermath. Woo hoo!  But the most important thing is I spent an incredible few hours with Ruby outside today. She didn't want to go to the park after school. Just wanted to come home. I said, I guess home feels safe, huh? "Yesh", she said. "HOME". So home we went. Had her lunch all packed so I decided we would still have a picnic...in the backyard. Daddy saw us and came out for a 1/2 hour to join us. So nice. We ate and laughed and talked and after Daddy went back to work we laid down and snuggled and sang songs together. Moments like that you just want to bottle up forever! After a bit we were getting hot so I got us some cool drinks and suggested we sit in the shade. I asked her to pick 2 books and she brought out 5! Three were Dr. Suess. She just loves those. We read all 5 until she started yawning. She started to protest when I told her it was time for a nap, but when we got upstairs and snuggled she went right out. So happy! She really needed it. And I had some time to get cooking...

So about that quiche...I found 2 really great recipes and not being able to decide on one, I made TWO tonight! I'm so enjoying cooking again! The first recipe was from Emeril. I like him. Nice guy. I met him once at a food show in NY years b4 he became famous. Anyway, you can find his caramelized onion, mushroom, and bacon quiche here. Yes, it does have bacon in it. I used turkey bacon and yes I do know that is still a meat, but I used a small amount and ate only a small piece and I'm not ashamed to say it was REALLY good. Been doing well with my vegetarian plus fish diet, but I guess every once in awhile a tiny bit of turkey or chicken won't kill me. Just rarely. The dish tasted very meaty actually - due to the mushrooms. It is very hearty and good for dinner vs bfast or brunch.

As for 2nd one, the jury is still out. Gonna save that one for Jeff's parents. Found the recipe here and it's spinach with herbed feta cheese. Looks good too and aside from being a little brown around the edges, it looks like it turned out okay.
I leave you with a pic of the little miss. Happy at home and checking on Mommy in the kitchen.
Have a happy weekend!

2 comments:

Mireille said...

Looks so yummy those quiches and Miss Ruby is ready to party!!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, Mireille! They both turned out really good and the pie crust (on the page with the Emeril recipe) is sooo good and super easy! hehe, my kind of cooking! :-) As for Rubes, she's always ready for a party and we where dresses a lot on her...want to get some use out of them cuz they won't fit next year!