Friday, September 24, 2010

Good Messy Fun

Ruby ended up being home Wed & Thurs with a bad cold. By Thursday afternoon I was grasping at straws to find some indoor fun activity that we haven't already done a hundred times. So I googled messy indoor fun kids activities and low and behold I found one: Jello painting! Laid a tarp down and got 2 big white papers out for her. Got red, blue, & yellow Jello. Mixed 2 tablespoons of hot water in each color, let her mix them up and go to town! This was a big hit!
Art work actually turned out so cute! Want to frame it but afraid the ants might invade the wall, LOL.
She was a little concerned that her hands were so messy...
...until I reminded her she could also eat it. And she sure did eat it.
...and eat it
...and eat it. Yes I know. But just this once. Notice how quickly she got over how messy it was. LOL!
Finally, she went back to painting... for about 2 more minutes and then she was done.  All I heard was this: "WASH HANDS PLEASE!" LOL, I guess that's about as messy as we get around here. :-)

9 comments:

Wyndee said...

She is just SO stinkin' cute!!!! Looks like big fun! ;-)

dawn said...

I love her artwork and I love that she doesn't like to get dirty hands.
paint with shaving foam on the windows, that is fun too oh but it is messy on the hands. LOL

Ellie said...

What a fun idea! Sounds like she's a clean, organized girl! My Jacob has always been like that! :)

chaniemom said...

So happy to hear about the progress but sorry to hear about the cold. Part of preschool life...had my first one of the season last weekend. What a fun and creative art project! You're a great mom!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, Chandra! I try to keep the creative juices going around here! The TV is great competition so I HAVE to come up with something better or she'll beg me for Barbie or Tinkerbell or some Princess movie! :-)

Dawn I love the shaving cream idea, but we have 300 year old wooded window frames and windows that may not take the abuse! We did it in the bathtub once. May try in on a covered table or on floor on a big mat at some point. :-)

Thanks Wyndee and Ellie!

Mireille said...

This is such a great idea, how easy it is these days to be a mommy, you just google and a zillion ideas come up.... our mothers had such a hard life without the World Wide Web!

Anonymous said...

Jen, This is such a wonderful idea,and I wish Lyla would be willing to get her hands messy at all. Haha. Another idea that is a tactile is putting pudding in a ziploc bag and letting them paint no mess or anything. Lyla likes it quite a bit.

Maci Miller said...

Like this idea, Liz! I heard about painting with pudding but haven't tried yet. Will try this soon...BUT I think we will just dig our hands in...especially if it's chocolate! :-)

Chris and Terri said...

What a cute idea!!! I love handprints, footprints, etc. The coolest art if you ask me!