Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sushi Candy!

Went to a wonderful party on Saturday and got to try out a fun little treat I've been wanting to make. Saw the recipe here. It's total processed sugary junk food, but oh so cute so I just HAD to try it! Was a big hit with the little miss (who consumed far too many marshmallows and swedish fish...more sugar than I have ever let her have in one sitting!) It was hit at the party, too!
"Sushi" made of pound cake, fruit roll-ups, licorice, marshmallows, powdered sugar donuts, cinnamon candies, and swedish fish. Pretty much sugar, sugar, and sugar. And good luck finding enough green fruit roll ups. Think I went through 6 boxes just to find like TWO whole green ones and a few with some green mixed in them with another color. Two days later I went to another store (after I was done) and found a whole box of green! Oh, well! It was still fun to make and fun to share.
I made this one and the one below are for a small gathering I'm having tomorrow. Just the big swedish fish wrapped with a fruit roll-up over a half a mini powdered sugar donut.
This one is all marshmallows wrapped in the roll-ups, stuffed with licorce and fish, then sprinkled with little cinnamon bits to look like roe.
And this is the mess we made before it was said and done. Although I should say "me" and not "we". Ruby bored quickly of the making and was much more interesting in the sampling. After the sugar high started to wear off I plopped her in front of the TV for a Christmas special while I finished and cleaned up. I think next time I have to come up with a more clever, healthier way to make this. Maybe with sticky rice and fruit? Will be hard to find an alternative to those swedish fish. So maybe not. Maybe some things are not meant to be healthy. Maybe some things are just meant to be fun, messy, yummy, once-in-awhile things!

2 comments:

Mireille said...

WOW, IMPRESSIVE!! This looks totally cool!! You are very creative!!

Maci Miller said...

Hey, I just found the recipe and went for it! The creative folks are the ones who thought it up! It was fun though!