Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Feeling Crafty

International Fairies
Call it a yearning for Spring. Or maybe just excitement over Ruby's birthday party. Or quite possibly, it was the cabin fever that made me snap into action. Whatever it is, I am feeling ever so crafty these days!
Rubes & I had fun making this silly butterfly.
And hey, what says spring more than butterflies and "cappapippars"??? Ruby especially loved these although getting the little buggers to stand up for any length of time has been a challenge. I told Ruby they were tired. LOL!
Made a fabulous mess with the paint, but, luckily, we did the toad stools first. Ruby painted two of them (one red and one pink) and did a really good job! I gave her paper to paint afterwards while I focused on the dots and the fairy house below. LOL, she had paint on her paper, the mat under it, her hands, arms and in her hair. It was hilarious. And that is with me sitting right next to her but focusing on painting for a half a minute. Too funny. Anyhow, I gave the mushrooms a coat of white later on the stems and now they just need some clear glitter coat. Gonna look so cute in my garden this spring! Making a fairy garden for Rubes this year.
After she went to bed, I converted an old crate and a wooden bird house into the beginnings of fairy land. So excited! Now if you haven't guessed by now, the theme of this years birthday party will be fairies. I was kinda pulling for a proper princess party, but when I asked Rubes and gave her the options of princess, cats, Elmo, fairies, fairy princess, etc....she said fairy princess. So, fairy princess it is! I am perfectly giddy getting all the ideas together and planning it!
My fab mother-in-law, Martha Stewart Larae, found this cool stamp/cut-out thing that makes butterflies. Found some gorgeous old wrapping paper upstairs, glittered the page with sparkle glue and then made a zillion cut-outs. Gonna string them and make a pretty, decorative garland for the party. Now, as for those dolls pictured above...they originally looked like this:
When searching for an international doll house family ages ago, I found and bought these online. Don't remember where now, but it might have been Mandy's Moon. Anyway, loved the dolls, hated the clothes. (Except the one on the top left that has already been through my make-over). Wasn't sure when I was going to give them to her until the idea of this party came up. Decided to make them into fairies and strategically place on the table, the shelf, etc., for decoration and for play. Here's more of a close up shot of what they look like now:
They still need wings and I have 2 more to finish, but I think they turned out pretty cute so far. The cool thing is, everything I used for the outfits above I already had. Tulle from a gift. An old scarf, ribbons, scrap booking stuff, etc. I only need to find something for the last 2 and order the mini-wings from Bugs-n-Blooms. Then wa-la! They are magic fairies!

 (Then, of course, all I'll need to know is where I can buy pink glitter in bulk). 

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I am just in love with this whole post! Love the international fairies! Ruby is going to LOVE her birthday party!!!!!

PS: So glad your blog is now updating on my blogroll!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, Wendy. Except I see that I can't spell late night. Will have to go back and correct a few things! Really should try to blog when awake! And yea, it's gonna be a fun party. I love doing stuff like this!

Oh, and I am showing up on your feeder cause I made the blog public again.

Jessica said...

What great party planning going on. So far all of my ideas are still kind of heaps on the kitchen table. It's just been one of those kind of weeks.
But you've inspired me!

P.S. - Buy the Martha Stewart glitter from Michaels. It's the best. And a little goes a long ways.

chaniemom said...

So cute! Penny loves Fairies, too! It sounds like they are two peas in a pod! Mine is just a little older than yours. But, I bet they could get along great!