Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pretty Little Things

Hand made gift boxes to house her mini fairies and tea set. 

Mommy's been a busy little bee! When Rubes is sleeping or at school, I get to work. The boxes were fairly easy to make. Got some plain wooden ones at Michael's and painted them. Stenciled the outside. Wish I had done a little better job with that part, but it's ok, I think. Next I painted the inside, then covered the outside of each box in glitter glue for an all-over sparkle. She's gonna love it! The hardest part was actually the clear top coat. Spray painting outside with the wind (and dust) proved to be a bit challenging. Little specs got stuck to the clear coat and had to be picked out, re-painted, re-glittered, and then re-glazed several times. Added the jewels and ribbon after it was finally done and now I'm happy.
Inside the fairy box I painted a little scene. I wanted it to be a play set as well as storage. The tree was pre-fab so I just painted that and glued on and my box was complete. Added little touches of glitter to the pond, sun, clouds, and pink toadstools. Even with my very limited skills as a painter, I think it turned out cute. Hope she will love it as much as I loved making it for her!
Here it is with the tiny fairies in it. (These I did not make. They are the ones I got on Etsy.) I laid them in between sheets of pink felt to keep from moving around too much.
A personal note from the artist on the bottom of each box.  :-)
Miniature tea set fits perfectly in the flower box. I cut out felt flowers to fit the inside, tied a ribbon on it to keep it closed...and it's ready!
Here's a close-up the tea set. This was a gift from my Grandpop when I was little and, ironically, it even has an Asian little girl on it. It was meant to be! 
Ruby loved this calla lilly and a flower wand we saw online so I decided to try making my own. Wrapped  the feather and flower together with pink satin ribbon and put some trailing wired flowers on it. Still need to get some thin pink, green, and lavender ribbon to have trailing down. I think she'll love it!
Now these are the fairies I made. Well, just dressed, really. I made the outfits and added wings. So much fun accessorizing these! I finished the last two this week and made the box they are in by painting an old Doug & Melissa box that came with one of her toys. It needs some glitter and a top coat yet. I also made a little toad stool table and chairs to spray and furniture from her fairy house to finish. So excited about all this fairy stuff! Gonna have a cute lil village till I'm done!

Now I saved the worst best for last. My first attempt at a toadstool cake. It was much easier to make than I thought it would be. That giant cupcake mold rocks! Still, I made a few mistakes. For one, you gotta let the cakes completely cool before trying to trim them! Parts of the top crumbled away when I cut it. The 2nd thing is I need a bigger piece of fondant. This one just barely covered it and overlapped in a rather unsightly way. (I conveniently hid that from the cameras view). It's also sitting a little lopsided. Hoping the next one is much nicer.
Of course, the color is all wrong, too, which Ruby did not fail to notice. I used green and yellow just because I was experimenting (and what came in the kit). At first, I just had the green on it and told her to come look at the toad stool cake I made. She looked rather curiously, then said "That not toadstool. Where spots?" Haha, she doesn't miss a thing. So I put spots on and once again the little miss inspected it with some doubt. "Umm...maybe try red with white spots!"she said in her best little helper voice. LOL. She sure didn't mind the colors when she ate it though. All thumbs up then! 
 The fun continues...


4 comments:

dawn said...

You are so talented. I love the boxes, they are so pretty.

Wendy said...

Jen...
AMAZING!!!! Love everything you did, but I think I like the dressed up fairies best of all. They are so cute. And your toadstool cake is adorable. What a fantastic birthday!

Jessica said...

The boxes are awesome. They're going to bring hours of imaginative play.

And, I think that cake was pretty darn good for a practice try. And, the best part is you get to eat the practice!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, gals! I'm having a lot of fun. And Jess, that is both the best and worst part as I am taste-tasting a LOT! :-)