Friday, March 11, 2011

Stunned

Life sure is full of surprises! A nice review in a Singapore newspaper lead to a tour promoter emailing me to ask about doing an Asian tour. Gulp. 

Evidently, he's worked with Diana Krall, Jamie Cullem, and Norah Jones. He handled their Asian tours. Hmmm. Not too shabby. But what would he want with me...a stay at home mom with an album out in Asia that was recorded years ago? Not to mention the fact that my album cover is also several years old. God bless the internet for immortalizing me as the lithe blonde I used to be! 

Anyway, I had initially written it off. I mean, it sounded nice and all but I have a sweet girl at home that needs me. There is NOTHING more important than that. So I was honest with him about my circumstance. I am 42, I took time off to be home with my kid, and I'm not performing anywhere right now. While I hope to do another jazz album by the end of the year, I had no idea if it would be done by then or not. I told him (nicely) that while I appreciate the offer, under no circumstances would I travel without my daughter and husband and/or sitter (if Jeff couldn't get away). It's just way too soon for her. He still wanted to talk. He didn't feel it was a problem to travel with my family and is confident about booking me. He books high end events with VERY wealthy clients...banks, luxury resorts and such.  I was like... okay, I'm listening.

So we skyped tonight. So cool. Didn't need to be nervous at all as he's a nice guy with a family and totally gets it. Very professional and straightforward. Wants to book me on some events this summer. It would be a mini tour - just 9 or 10 days- in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. Yipee!!!! I love my life! Ruby and Jeff would come along for a nice vacation. If it works out, we talk about me coming out again in the fall or winter for another few weeks tour. They would come along for that, too, of course. My record label is gonna be thrilled as it can only help boost sales.  I am totally sitting here stunned. I mean, it may or may not work out. This is the music biz, after all. But I have a label. I have a promoter. They will work around my family needs. It's pretty cool. At 42, I feel like my life is just beginning again! As a new mom. As a recording artist. Life is but a dream. And I am eternally grateful.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay, first, so stinking excited for you. Second, so stinking excited for you! Third, what a fabulous picture!

Maci Miller said...

thanks, Jess!

Mireille said...

WOW!! This is fantastic Jen! Such great news! And hey... If Jlo can do it YOU can do it too!! Here comes another Jennifer of the block :-) watch out world!! Love, Love it, so good for you!!

Maci Miller said...

:-) thanks!!

c & b said...

Awesome news! Congratulations! And how cool is it that you can take your whole family?! Very very cool.
christina

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

SEE I told you you were famous!!!! Blonde(bombshell) or stay at home mom!!!

SO FREAKING excited. That is really exciting and how awesome that you all will go together and what a lovely little(okay big)vacation.

Okay H is talking non-stop about Ruby M(we have to use last names as we have another Ruby here at home)She has made her the size of Stuart Little and is carrying her around in her hand....Ruby M went out to dinner with us tonight:) LOL We can't wait to see you and please bring a signed copy of the cd that goes to the orphange....been meaning to buy it forever and just have never done it!!!

Hugs and we will talk after I get to town!! Everyone stay well please....I am trying to keep H in the a bubble to keep her well before we come!!!

dawn said...

Wow....hold tight cos life is only just beginning.

Ellie said...

Yay!!!! Couldn't be happier for you!!!! Congratulations!