Friday, June 10, 2011

Lump In My Throat

Ruby knows school is almost over. We both are so exited for summer and trips to the beach, Sesame Place, picnics, sleeping in, etc.  But even though I know school is soon out it somehow it caught me off guard yesterday (when picking Ruby up at school) that when I said "ok, honey, say goodbye to your friends" she didn't just hug the few friends around her and bolt out the door as usual. She went around sweetly - and almost thoughtfully - hugging each one and saying good bye and smiling at them.  I thought I was gonna cry. We've talked about her being in another classroom next year with a new teacher. She may or may not know that some of her good friends are moving on to another school or another class. But I am guessing she kinda knows. So brave, my sweet girl. She seems okay about going to a new room - the one across the hall - and knows who the new teacher is. She even knows some of the kids in the class cause her class shared recess with them. Still, it really got me all choked up to see her saying goodbye to her friends. Silly sappy Mamma! This is only pre-school!

That was yesterday. Today was the school picnic. Such a fun time. Great to see the kids having fun and get together with some of the moms we've gotten to know.  Her (current) teacher was particularly nice to us. She knows she rubbed me the wrong way and seemed to go out of her way to make conversation. Of course, I was nice to her but it felt odd being that I still was annoyed with her for what I felt was unjust treatment of my little one. Ruby went up to her b4 we left and gave her the sweetest long hug...and even a kiss on the cheek. More forgiving than Mommy. Ahhh...another life lesson learned from the wee one. We all make mistakes. Time to love and understand that everyone is dealing with something at any given time. And we don't know what that person may be going through. We don't walk their path. Love is all there is and we need to practice it as much as possible. Not just when it's easy.

And there it is. The lump in my throat that showed up when Ruby bravely said goodbye to her friends showed it's uncomfortable self again. Time to let bygones be bygones and live in this moment. And love and forgive everyone. Even yourself. :-)

Some pics from the picnic...
Adorable tricycle and big wheel park.
This is Ruby and her best school friend, Olivia.
Look at the stop light. How freakin cute is that?
This park was awesome! The water sprayer was (as you can see) a HUGE hit.
Lil gymnast
LOVE this shot. Two sweet girl grabbing each others hand and running off to have fun.
Got the 2 cuties to pose for a shot. Olivia is sweet and soft spoken like Ruby. She's adopted from Guatamala. Funny how these two gravitated to each other. Her mom is great, too, and we're excited to get together this summer.
Sad that this sweet friend is moving up to kindergarten next year. Still in the same school though which is great. They will still run into each other and we will have play dates.

Did I mention I LOVE her new teacher? Such a nice, nice lady. Her classroom is called by other moms the "Zen" room. Exactly what I want for Rubes. Have heard raves from other moms about how their kids did in that class too. And I found out one of her little friends from ballet class will be in the same class room next year. Bonus! Love when things work out like that.

1 comment:

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

oh girl...right there with you!! I was so sad to say goodbye to H's teachers!! We loved them so much. We already met her teacher for ice cream and her daughter started babysitting for us....so I told she was not getting away from us that easily!!!
Hayden doesn't get it at all that she will have different teachers or kids in her class or a different class. I am sure there will be time of transition for her.
So sweet of Rubes to hug everyone and I guess she felt okay about her teacher....they are so much more forgiving and don't hold grudges like us!! I need to work on that one!!!

Enjoy your summer!!! Wish we lived closer so we could get together...fire pit looks great!!!