Sunday, November 16, 2008

An Evening With Myself

After a fun and busy week of both work and socializing, I decided to break off on my own. I just wanted a quiet night away from all the noise of Miami and the constant chit-chat that goes on when you have a dozen women all working together 8 hours a day and then going out together, too. Not that it hasn't been fun - it has been - but last night was just for me. It was such a breath of fresh air to have no schedule or anyone else to coordinate with. Just me, myself, & I. In jeans, a casual top and flip-flops. A welcome relief for my swollen feet! Didn't I used to wear heels for hours? Do my feet know I'm turning 40, too? 

A bunch of us went on the town the other night and hit the famous Delano Hotel. Nice, but highly over-rated. Still, it was fun and I can say I saw it. The Shore Club was a few blocks down and we went there, too. It was beautiful! Little couches and chaises all around a huge pool with candles everywhere and white gauzy fabric hanging from cabanas, blowing in the balmy breeze. Great DJ playing songs from the 80's. Thankfully, I wasn't the only one from our group that remembered the tunes! LOL. 

So back to my quiet night...I casually strolled down Espanola Way and immediately stumbled across an art gallery. Both the art and poetry was amazing and the artist was actually there so I got to have a nice conversation with him before buying an art and poetry book for a good friend of mine. He has been to Thailand so of course I tell him we are adopting and ask if he has any sketches from his trips there. He did. So that is the small book I got for my friend that is from Thailand. I thought it might be nice to have something to remind her of home. I also picked up a very cool print for my mom. Think she is going to love it! I walked on and eyeballed the stalls of crafts and things for sale and found a little Indian-style store that had the yummiest smelling lemongrass incense. I picked up one for me and one for my friend. Then I found this great little restaurant at the end of the street. It wasn't crowded yet and I asked the waitress to seat me in a corner somewhere, but outside. It was so great. I could people watch and read the poetry book and have a nice dinner all to myself. So nice and relaxing!

I got back to the room early and got a great night's rest. I am ready for my last morning power walk and last day in Miami. Tomorrow I head home. It will be chilly, but I get to see Jeff, Chloe (the dog) and Max (the guard cat).  Looking forward to it.

4 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Glad you had a nice night out on the town by yourself. It is nice to go shopping and dining on your own schedule. Safe travels home. I look forward to talking to you more this week!

Chris and Terri said...

Sounds amazing!

Julie said...

Sounds great. Safe trip home.
Julie

Jessica said...

Isn't that the best part of going somewhere - having fun and then going home. Glad you had a good trip.