Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hello South Beach


Flew down to Miami on Thursday. I'm here for work, but that doesn't mean I won't get to have a little fun, too! Working with a good friend, have a couple friends that live here, and Jeff is flying down this week. Should be a fun time and I hope to hit some of the many great restaurants down here. I'm staying in the heart of South Beach. Fun, warm, lively, a bit rowdy (think Spring Break), but a nice break from the norm. I brought earplugs for sleeping!

The weather and the beach are great. Took a long walk on the beach today and it was just wonderful! Oh, how I love the ocean! I might have walked a bit too long, though. Thinking that an hour and a half power walk before working an 8 hour shift requiring me to stand in high heels was maybe not such a good idea. (I am working the auto show). I also think I need to invest in another pair of black pumps that don't kill my poor feet! Ouch! Perhaps I will just take a good book and lay in the sun tomorrow and rest the tootsies for a few hours.

I have 3 good books with me that I could read. Each a completely a different kind of read. Wasn't sure what I would be in the mood for. The first is and adoption attachment book that I started a month ago that I need to finish. The second, is a beautiful, positive and spiritual book called The Power of Now by Eckard Toile. I read about half of this book a year ago (and loved it) before shelving it for all things adoption. I'm thinking it will be the perfect thing for me to read while relaxing by the pool and beach. I also am eager to re-read and finish it so I can read his newest book, New Earth, when I get home.

 The 3rd book I'd like to get to I borrowed from my cuz, Lauren. It's a diet book of sorts called Skinny Bitch.  Actually read a bit of it and the writers are a hilarious and very direct.  I was vegetarian plus fish (and  dairy) for about 3 years and want to get back to it. I'm not that crazy about meat anyway. It's okay once in awhile. I am curious to see what exactly they are eating and how many times a day they are eating it. I'd love to drop just a few lbs. but find myself starving between meals when I only eat veggies. So we'll see how that goes. I think The Power of Now will be my first read. 

I am down here for 9 more days and am going to sign up for a week of Bikram yoga on Monday. Did it in NY last year and loved it. Well, I should say I get to love it after my body gets used to it. LOL. It's hot yoga and kinda grueling, but you feel so good afterwards. Empowered, pure of toxins (because you sweat them all out) and lighter somehow. So hoping to pick up some better eating and exercise habits while down here in buff city. It's quite inspiring, even the seniors are in fabulous shape! Maybe I will do that power walk in the morning after all. :-)

6 comments:

Ellie said...

Enjoy your time in SoBe! There are SO many good restaurants there! Enjoy the sun and sand for me!
Hugs,
ellie

Carey and Norman said...

Nothing like beginning an exercise and diet program on vacation. I keep putting mine off for one more week. Maybe next week ;o)

Jessica said...

Enjoy! R&R (even while working) sure does make waiting go faster. Good news must be better received with a tan, right?

rosemary said...

Enjoy the beach for me. This Florida girl is green with jealousy!

Julie said...

enjoy the beach. Hope the new regime goes well. I have been teaching yoga for about 3 years now, but have not done as much since our adoption. It's much harder with a little one to look after. Hopeing to start teaching pre school yoga again next year.
julie

dawn said...

I hope Miami and SoBe are treating you well. This coming Sunday is our local FCC picnic and if you are not working and you feel like stopping by email me.
jcope39382@aol.com

Have fun in the sun and I admire your new goals