Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Incredible Hug

I got the most amazing gift today. I was working at the auto show when I say hi to a family with an adorable little girl from China. She looked around the size our daughter may be when we get her home. Maybe a bit bigger. I wonder to myself if she is the same age as my little girl. The mom seems nice so I ask her. She's 3. I say that we were adopting a girl from Thailand and we begin sharing our stories. She is so kind and open, I was touched. She didn't know me at all and yet we had this great connection through our daughters. Her family was waiting for her in another booth by now so she gave me her email and we parted ways. 

I go back to working, still in awe of this nice break in my day when she comes back 5 minutes later with her daughter. She brought her over to me and said I want you to meet Mommy's new friend, Jen. I squatted down to say hi and her mom said something to her and she came over and hugged me! It was so sweet. Now I have hugged plenty of kids before, but this felt like something I can not describe. She had her hug me one more time before they went. It was as if this mom new this was exactly what I needed today. This is going to sound really stupid, but I have never hugged a little Asian girl. Especially not one so close in age and size and big brown eyes like Ruby's. It hit so close to home to me that I couldn't fight the tears.

I have often dreamed of what it will feel like to hug my little girl. I have tried to imagine it and the picture just wouldn't come. Now I know what it feels like. I said a quick goodbye and thank you and made a bee-line for the restroom. I overflowed with tears. Tears of joy and comfort, tears for my baby I can't hug yet, and tears of gratefulness that this mom shared her precious little one's hug with me. My heart now knows how great a hug from my daughter will be and how it will feel. And it's gonna feel, really really great. Oh, how worth the wait that hug will be.
I can handle the wait for that. I can handle anything for that kind of pay off!

Thank you, P, for that incredible gift today. You can't imagine what that did for me. Then again, I guess you can.

5 comments:

Mireille said...

Oohh, this post made me cry as well! How wonderfully written Jen! And I am so glad that hug made your day ;-)
love, M

Carey and Norman said...

Oh My, this is a tear jerker. Thank you for giving us hope as we wait to hear more this week. I appreciate all your support and am glad you have families there to lift your spirits as you wait!

Much Love!!

Glen and Andrea said...

What a lovely post! And when you do have your baby in your arms it will feel a million times sweeter,I felt the same waiting for our son from Thailand and knowing how wonderful it would feel to hold him and it did indeed make the waiting easier. Can't wait till you get to meet your precious daughter.

annet said...

Hi Jen,

I hope your girl is coming home real soon........

big hug from a mummy waiting for a thai child ......

Chris and Terri said...

This made me tear too. We think about M all the time but when I see little Asian girls... it really hits home. I can't wait for that moment. I hope yours gets here fast too!