Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Weekly Inspiration: Acceptance

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections." unknown

This week I am in the Motor City for the long and exhausting Detroit Auto Show. It is very cold here, there aren't a lot of great restaurant choices, AND there isn't a Starbucks. I was especially cranky about the last one as I love my super-strong skinny late! However, I have been working on something lately and quite simply, that is acceptance.

I don't have my referral yet. But I am happy and excited just reveling in the fact that it is coming soon. I am not in beautiful, warm Thailand holding my child. I am in freezing cold Detroit. But I will be there soon and appreciate it all even more! I didn't find a Starbucks, but I am lucky to have coffee...and breakfast....and afford to eat when I am hungry, unlike many in this world.

So today I am counting my blessings and being glad for what I have right now:
An opportunity to work a lot this month and next so my wait will go faster.
An opportunity to even have a great job in this economy.
An opportunity to see and hang out with many of my good friends the next 2 weeks.
A chance to miss my husband, making our reunion when we get home all the sweeter.
A couple weeks to work on my Rosetta Stone Thai.
Lots of time in my hotel room to catch up on reading.
And lastly, I found some ground Starbucks at the CVS to make my own morning brew in my room.

Life is good!



6 comments:

Jessica said...

Jenn, Thanks for the reminder that waiting brings us so many unexpected blessings. Good luck finding good caffeine and staying warm!

christina said...

And you have reminded me to be more mindful of the blessings in my life, like, for example: Our beautiful daughter who is now talking more and playing more and actually showing a bit of her humorous side. The huz, who can fix just about anything and if he doesn't know he'll give it a go anyway. Parents who live close by enough to drop what they are doing and come take care of the kid at 6:30 in the morning, and yes, a job in the economy, but a job I love.
Thanks for the reminder.

Kam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carey and Norman said...

2009 is going to be a big year for you and Jeff. I know the wait is hard, but you will be busy planning for your trip to Thailand soon. Thinking about you and praying for your referral to come.

Mireille said...

Go girl! Keep it positive and indeed be grateful. There is so much in life you can celebrate about...the cherry on the top is only missing...the rest of the cake is there already!

rosemary said...

Yep, you said it! Acceptance is the key to happiness. I was just reminding myself this morning to be happy in the fact that we are officially on the list and part of the way through with our wait. Good post!