Thursday, February 26, 2009

Feeling Lucky


Wow, what a little information can do for the spirit! Today I am feeling good with the realization (again) of just how lucky we really are. We have these beautiful up to date photos to look at every day and so much information gathered from the kind mom's that have been there over the last year. I have been piecing together the details lately and going over old emails to make sure there is nothing I missed. I realized we really know quite a bit about her life and the orphanage. Had I not "met" so many great people, we would have been completely in the dark.

 There have been so many that have come into our lives just when we needed it most. The people on the yahoo group that have answered the hundreds of questions that have popped into my head since we started this. Everything from paperwork, to what size the kids usually wear, to details about CP and other delays...I have asked and I have gotten answers and advice. The internet really is so amazing, but more-over, so are all the mom's that have reached out to help others still in the process! One in particular is Sharon. What an incredible person you are! Someone from the yahoo group saw my request for any info on the orphanages in the south and told her friend Sharon who wrote me right away. That was in March when we first heard about our daughter. Since then, she has been a friend, a support, and the reason I have any photos and up dates past the first set we got from the agency. She is always on the look-out for others and found other mom's traveling to NST that she has "introduced" to us. I thank you so much, Sharon. Just for being wonderful you!

Because of Jeff encouraging me to sign up for the yahoo group I met Sharon. Because of Sharon, I met Rachel, Rachel, and Liz. One, a lovely woman that answered my MANY questions, told me about the orphanage in detail and looked through all her pictures from her trip to find 2 for me of our daughter. The other 2 incredible mom's took time out of their first meeting with their child to look in on our daughter and take photos. And they, too, answered so many questions and filled in the blanks for us. And Liz - wonderful Liz - made a connection with someone local that actually called the orphanage for us yesterday! So yea, I am still waiting, but I also see just how fortunate I am have this information.  This is what we found out recently...

She has seen our photo! She looked at the pics with some interest, but was probably still not so sure who this "Mommy and Daddy" really are. Still it warms my heart to know that on some level she knows there is someone coming who loves her!

She is walking well! When we first got her report in May of last year she was delayed. They had to massage her legs every day and they had been very concerned that it took her so long to walk.

She is healthy except for one ear. The orphanage said she has something wrong with her ear and there is a "machine" in it. We are waiting for clarification as to whether it's a hearing aid or a tube/gromit thing for an infection. We know another child there has a middle ear infection so we think she may as well. Either way, we feel this is minor and she will be alright. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is one of the best in the world so even if it a hearing thing, we know we can get her the best care and she will be alright. 

We found out the orphanage said she is "totally normal" otherwise. Since she was considered slightly delayed, we have never really been sure how she would be. Mentally or physically. Now we are feeling rather confident that she has caught up already and will do so even more when she is home. How incredible is that to know??? I will answer that and say VERY incredible (Mak-Mak!)

And lastly, we heard that as far as the orphanage is concerned, we can come get her. I am still seeking confirmation on this, as I want to know for sure that the medical and background has been sent to the DSDW already. But it is sounding very good. We were afraid this is what the hold up has been. Knowing it may be ready and sitting on our social workers desk is a good thing. Now, it's just a matter of time for the SW to get to it and then we are soooo there!

So little tid-bits are coming in here and there as a sign that we are not alone in this and are supported every step of the way. Equally amazing are the wonderful blogging friends that have been the biggest support I could have asked for. Nancy, Sharon, Mireille, Ellie, Rosemary, Jessica, Emily, Julie, Dawn, Terri, Carey, Julia and gosh, so many others that have been kind and helpful along the way. (Sorry if I have forgotten a name! I appreciate you ALL!) Together, we have laughed, cried, stressed, and shared. Thank you!

Yea, I am feeling lucky today. (And LOL, did you notice how long I managed to stay off the blog?)

12 comments:

Ellie said...

Jen, glad you're back at it! A day at the spa must have been just what you needed :) Happy to hear that you continue to hear positive news from all your sources!!

Your time is soon, girl!!! Hopefully we'll be going together!

Hugs,
ellie

Mireille said...

Thanks for the kind words Jen!! What kind of spa treatment did you get, it worked wonders. I need to try that one as well ;-)
Love, M

Anonymous said...

I love you, Jen. Your love & enthusiasm is infectious. So thrilled for all that you already "have" of your little girl. Now let's just get that sweet baby home!

Jessica said...

Jen, Hope renewed for one of us is hope renewed for all of us. So glad that Ruby has seen your picture. It's the little pieces of info like that that carry the day. So glad to be a part of your journey, and so blessed that you are a part of mine.

Carey and Norman said...

You are more than welcome. All I can do is be there for you as a friend during the wait b/c I know how important it can be. To know that others are waiting with you and celebrating your joys. Friendships through adoption are quiet amazing!! Such a bond we have.

Glad you are feeling good about all the information you have concerning Miss Ruby! You have been blessed to have families obtain information for you that you may not otherwise have had! Again, so thankful for other moms that understand your longing and heart ache!

Thinking of you and praying for news soon!!

Maci Miller said...

The massage was FAB and just what I needed. Any time I can decompress and quiet this incredibly over-active mind of mine, it's a good thing! But really, it is getting a little word on our baby that makes my heart sing today. She has seen Mommy and Daddy and whatever that means to her at this point it is still a great thing. I am checking on the Cd I sent and seeing if there is any way she can hear my voice before I get there, too. Most of all, she knows there is someone who loves her...how can I be down knowing that?

Glen and Andrea said...

Your positivity is shining off the page (or computer I guess)! You are doing soooo well. I know how hard it is - it's a killer but it will all be worth it in the end. Now I sound like some know-it-all. I am just trying to encourage you - you are nearly there. So close!

robynmac said...

Jen,

Wow, the list of things you listed was incredible to know about your daughter. You are very fortunate to know what you know and just keep that in mind when things might go the other way or you start feeling they are going south. Just as perspective, we waited 2 years for a referral (back when they did healthy via the DSDW) and than only got a name, birthdate, and one pic. They didn't even tell us which orphanage or any other info. I felt like it was in the south, but didn't know. It wasn't for another 5 4 months that it was confirmed he was at Songkhla but no additional info. We didn't get the go ahead to travel until two days before we had our flight. We got his child history and medical info 2 days prior to travel. It was very heart wrenching not to know anything in particular. It didn't matter, as we were going on faith no matter what the situation was.
So, I am happy for you and can't wait for you to pick up Ruby and tell us all the news.

Hugs, Robyn in Atlanta

Ellie said...

So, you really ARE taking a break!! Hope you're having a nice weekend!! Sending Hugs!

Kam said...

Jen, had some time this evening to come up and read your latest post. So glad to hear that your spirits are better! We've had a long hard weekend waiting and it's so good to read about your recent blessings. Hope you are given great news this week!

Love and prayers and hugs for you~
Kam

Wyndee said...

Jen-

Like Robyn, we didn't know much about Sophie at all before we traveled. Ours was also back when the DSDW was accepting referrals for healthy infants. Actually, I *think* Robyn and I used the same agency....

Anyhoo, I know you must be very excited to have received more info about Ruby. Soon she'll be home, and I can't wait to see pics and hear all about her!!!

Wyndee

Kam said...

Hi Jen, just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you tonight. I hope you are having a good week and am praying that you get good news soon. Little Ruby has come to mind several times today and I just wanted you to know that I'm believing for you!

Hugs~
Kam