Friday, February 13, 2009

Snapping Out of It

Okay, I am climbing out of the doldrums today. I get so down some times, but I don't stay that way for long. I can't. Life is too short and there are far too many things to be grateful for. Going to try on that dreaded word  (patience) today and grab myself a better perspective. Again. 

I sit sometimes and ask myself WHY? Why are we still waiting? What is the Universe trying to tell me? What do I still have yet to do? The truth is there are still a lot of things I'd like to accomplish and learn before we get her. I thought I was learning to be patient, but evidently I still have much more to gain in that department! :-)

So here is the short list of things I can do right now to be ready for our baby and kill time...

1. Get myself in better shape. God knows, I have a weak back and some serious girly-girl arms. Time to toughen up so I can carry that precious baby of mine around non-stop. Cause seriously, how will I ever want to put her down?  Went to the gym today and had a great work out. 45 minutes of cardio and some sit-ups and weights. First time I did weights for my back in like 10 years. It was time!
2. Learn more Thai language. Time to crack down and study that Rosetta Stone more often. Also talk to my friend (who is Thai) about baby words I need to known and have her translate both a thank you letter to the orphanage and care givers and also a list of questions for me. She has agreed to do this for me and I am trying to narrow down the LONG list of questions I have.
3. Learn more baby signing. We learned a good bit but could learn more.
4. Read more. I have at least 4 more books I want to read that are sitting on the shelf and I have been meaning to get to. Toddler Adoption, Zen Guide to Parenting, a couple Baby Wise books, Super Foods for babies and kids, and a raising a toddler book I picked up recently. And then there is Skinny Bitch which I borrowed from my cousin but never finished that would help me with  #1. LOL.
5. Learn more about racism in transracial adoption and how to deal with it. Research it, join groups, etc.
6. Get to know other moms and adoptees in my area. (Just found two moms in my area thanks to the world wide web! So excited!)
7. Visit the Montessori Pre-K and get to know the teachers in my area.
8. Cook more and try out some of the healthy recipes I want to make for my daughter. Could use a refresher course on my Thai cooking as well. Muk, where are you when I need you?? :-)
9. Pray more, meditate more, trust more. Actually, this should have been first!
10. Record the children's CD that I have been wanting to do. Plan on going into the studio in March to record a few tracks and re-do the vocals that I did for our daughter back in the summer. It will be a collection of lullabies and I want to either start a charity to go with it, or donate some of the proceeds to a Thai, orphans, or children's charity. Not sure of all the particulars yet. May start my own charity so I can divide it up between a few charities near and dear to my heart. Or I may just do one for greater impact. Hard to decide, but I am very excited about the project. Was going to put it off till later, but decided the time is NOW.

Wishing everyone a beautiful day and thanking you once again for your friendship, kindness, and support!


4 comments:

Ellie said...

You never stay down long, Jen!! I sure hope you don't get to accomplish this list... BECAUSE you are in Thailand getting RUBY!!! Praying you get news soon!!
Love,
ellie

Julie said...

Jen,I know how hard the waiting is, I remeber all the ups and downs. Try and stay positive. You will be there soon and it will be so worth while.
Julie

rosemary said...

Let me know what you've learned about baby signing. We are interested in that but don't much. I was wondering how that works with also trying to teach them english at the same time. So many questions...

Jessica said...

That's the spirit! You'll have to take me to task too because so many of those things are STILL on my list. Chock dee (good luck!)