Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Ruby!

Your 1st birthday present from us.
Happy 2nd Birthday, little love!

The rain is coming down this morning and somehow it seems fitting. Both for my mood and for the Thai holiday taking place over the next few days. Songkran Day is approaching on the 13th (some celebrations and ceremonies have already started) and the water is meant to wash away the past, as the Thai New Year begins. For you, dear Ruby, a new beginning is taking place, too. You don't know it yet, but the wheels have been set in motion by a higher power long ago. Your life is about to change and this will be a new year full of love, surprises, some insecurity in the beginning perhaps, but lots of happiness to follow.

Yesterday, knowing this day was approaching, I was down. I want to hold you so badly! I worry about your hearing and want to take you to the doctors here and get you the best speech therapist and audiologist immediately! I long to let you know how happy we are that you were born on this blessed day! That for now on, you will have someone that will love you more than anything and make sure your every need is met. And that whenever you need a hug, a smile, a shoulder to cry on, or anything at all - we are here. Now and always.

Daddy's wish for you today: " To have a happy and playful day with smiles and laughter and some hugs and kisses from the nannies. I can't wait to meet you, hug you, love you and celebrate your birthday later and for every future birthday."

Mommy's wish for you today: "To have peace in your heart and somehow know that we are out here loving you and coming for you soon! I wish for someone to give you a little extra hug or attention today so that you know how very special you are! And of course, I wish for you to be with us very, very soon!"

Mommy's wish for your Birthmom: "No words are enough to say the gratefulness I have for you.  I can't imagine your very hard decision to have the baby and then to have to put her in someone else's care. Thank you for creating this beautiful little being! Yet I also feel so much empathy for the difficult path you had to take. I pray you can heal from the great loss you have suffered. I pray for you to find peace and happiness in your life. And I pray we can meet someday so Ruby can know the beautiful person you must be and you can be comforted in knowing how much we love her."

Today, I am letting the rain wash away my own sorrows. I am having faith in the great promise of Easter, respecting the sentiment and meaning of Songkran, and being grateful for your beautiful little life. We are gathering with our family tonight in your honor. We are having dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant in our home town with your grandparents, uncle, aunt, and cousins. We will show them your newest pictures and we will celebrate the day you came into this world together with great anticipation of your arrival. We love you little one. More than words can say.

Happy Birthday, Sawadee Pi Mai (Happy New Year), and Happy Easter weekend, dear Ruby! Many beautiful April celebrations are in your future!

Love,
Mommy & Daddy

5 comments:

Ellie said...

Awww, Jen!! I couldn't get through that one without tearing up! So sweet. Soon you will be able to hold Ruby and tell her all those things in person. I'm glad you were able to celebrate her birth today, in her honor.
Sending hugs,
ellie

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday and Sawadee Pi Mai beautiful Miss Ruby! The good, good things that are in store for you this upcoming year. Jen, I'm wishing for you, sweet sunshine after the rain. Happy Easter.

rosemary said...

Happy Birthday, Ruby! This was a beautiful post, Jen, and I loved reading it.

christina said...

Happy Birthday Ruby!

Carey and Norman said...

Thinking of you and praying for your trip to Thailand to come quickly. I know how much you want to hold your daughter and shower her in kisses.

Happy Birthday Miss Ruby!!