Monday, May 11, 2009

Couple Time

Jeff & I at Fairmount Park

Philadelphia Art Museum

Well, yesterday was just about as nice a time you could have on Mother's Day without actually seeing your mothers or being able to be with your child yet. Both our mom's had other obligations so we headed into our gorgeous city we rarely visit for a day of fun. And fun we had.

Went to the museum to see the Cezanne exhibit. Very nice. There were a few Matisse which I actually like better than Cezanne. Jeff really liked the Picassos. I think Picasso may have been a really disturbed guy (LOL) but we both really enjoyed all of it. Took a nice stroll down Fairmount Ave to look at the old boathouses then headed into the city for a nice dinner at Roy's. Roy's is a chain, but a very nice one. It's Hawaiian Asian fusion and Jeff had never eaten at one. Such a treat! I forgot how much I loved the food there. It was my friend and client, Kim, that actually turned me on to that one. She took a bunch of us there on a corporate dinner once. 

There was one moment at dinner that was a little awkward. My brother is a wine rep and knows the people at the restaurant. He called them and had a nice bottle of wine sent to the table. (That is the nice part, not the awkward part!) Anyway, I guess the manager wanted to come over and make sure we were enjoying everything. He was like "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Where's the kid? Oh, I bet you are soooo enjoying getting a break from the kids tonight!"  Yea, right. How about I'd trade this dinner and all the fancy dinners on the planet just to sit home and stare at my child...even through a hissy fit. He went on and on for a few minutes. I just wanted to say, OKAY, STOP ALREADY! We are enjoying our dinner now go away! But of course, I didn't and would never. He was only being nice!  I slapped on my best Bree Vandercamp fake smile and thanked him. After all, he did give us a nice coupon for something free on our next visit. And dinner was fantastic. I recovered quickly, but decided for now on any Mommy-type event was going to be spent away from happy families with adorable children (and people with probing questions) until we get Miss Ruby home! 

Got home in time to watch my favorite dramas on the tube. Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters. Really the only TV I watch except for the occasional HGTV and Extreme Make-over Home Edition. Snuggled up next to the hubby and decided that, yes, it was a good day. Couple time highly recommended. :-)


3 comments:

Jessica said...

Roy's is yummy. Glad you had such a nice day.

I told the checker at the grocery store yesterday Happy Mother's Day. She thanked me and asked me if I was mom. I just smiled and said, "Not yet." She said, "I can tell you're not saggy yet." A blessing of being an adoptive mom??

Maci Miller said...

LOL. That's great Jess. I used to also include the "no weight gain" as a blessing...until the anxiety of this adoption caused me to eat like a horse! LOL! It's been good comfort at times but Jeff are on a health kick now and it's high time!

Chris and Terri said...

LOL Jessica...Saggy...

I hear you about the eating Jen.

Jen - sounds like you had a good day and I like your attitude. Waiting is not easy, not fun but I try to make the most of it too.

Terri