Saturday, May 9, 2009

Life is Good Again


Well, I got back from Vegas late Thursday night, and all I can say is: Life is good! To be able to have good friends is gift. To do what I love for a living and get a fab vacation out of it is also great. The resort was incredible! But to work for a client that has also become a friend and be appreciated for a talent I haven't used for soooo long (performing live jazz)...well, that is a true blessing! The pic above is my friend Kim and I. She is just such a doll! A really great person and a lot of fun. She has an event planning business (Kee Consulting) and handles big corporate events with such detail and ease and is one of these people that breathes life into everything and everyone around her. She's a creative and marketing genius! In her "spare time" she runs a catering company and can cook up a storm! Check out her website at Partystylings.com. 
This is my super-talented piano player, George & I after the gig and George (below) when we started. Look at that backdrop!  A few people took my pic singing so if I get one later I'll post.


The gig could not have gone more perfect. It was a pretty, breezy sunset followed by a near full moon night. Palm trees were swaying behind me as my piano player just played every song brilliantly. Sometimes outside performances can be a nightmare if you don't have a good PA system or sound guy. I was a tiny bit concerned before I got there, but the AV guy was just awesome and both the piano and my voice carried all the way to the other side of the patio. Everyone seemed to enjoy us and I had a ball. It's funny because I used to get so worked up before each gig...especially if I hadn't performed in awhile. Well, I suppose after 40 years on this planet I learned something! Life is to be lived and enjoyed! Why stress over it? Waiting for my baby is stressful. Worrying about her hearing and how long till I can hold her... now THAT is something that is difficult. But singing? No way. I just refused to let myself worry and because I just didn't care and let go, it turned out great! Life lesson 4,343: every thing turns out better when you don't worry about it and just trust and enjoy!  Actually, I think I have had that lesson repeated about 1000 times already... but this time I remembered! :-)

The whole three days were so full it felt like I was there a week. I got to see one of my favorite people on the planet when I was out, too....my Uncle Tom. We went to dinner Tuesday night and just had a great time, incredible food, and wonderful conversation. He only lives about 10 minutes from the resort. I always try to see him and his lovely wife, Sherry, whenever I am out that way, but they were out of town when Jeff & I were in Vegas in November so this was a real treat to see him. 

I hit the pool both days, had a massage, and even got in a little shopping time. Life is good! They had a HUGE Anthropologie store and if ever there was a store I could get lost in, THAT is it! In fact, there is nothing I DON'T love in that store, whether it is fashion or home decor, the store has just everything I love with a vintage-y feel. They even have cute stuff for kids! It's dangerous! I was lucky to get out of there with just 2 pair of pants and a gift for my mother-in-law. I seriously had to TEAR myself out of there and remind myself the pool was waiting! 

My favorite line of the week was at the end of the night after my gig. My friend and client, Kim, was complimenting us on a job well done and asked how long George and I have been performing together. We both laughed and at the same time replied: uh, tonight! Even though we worked on the lullaby CD together we never performed live before or rehearsed together.I had practiced at home, of course, and knew we'd be okay. We both knew the songs and just discussed keys and jumped in.  Another lesson to live by folks: JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET! It's so much more fun that way and you'll be glad you did!

1 comment:

Mireille said...

So great reading you had such a good time Jen!! I am happy for you and you look dazzling in that silver outfit!!