Monday, May 4, 2009

A Pleasant Distraction



I got an email from an old friend and favorite client of mine. They have a big corporate meeting in Las Vegas and wanted to know if I was available to fly out and do some background jazz for a few hours one night. Uh, YEA! I called the piano player, George, that just did the lullaby CD with me and he was available. We threw this together in a week. I booked the tickets, typed an invoice, rehearsed like crazy, spoke with the hotel and AV to make sure we had everything we needed, and off we go! I'm packed and leave tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn.

Haven't performed live in over a year, but I have been singing a lot since doing the CD. Surprisingly, all the jazz standards I used to sing are coming back to me like I never stopped. Maybe I should be nervous, but I'm not. I'm just happy to be singing again and seeing old friends (my pals at Hughes) and getting this great paid vacation in NV. It also helps that George is so talented. I feel very confident with him on the gig. 

We are staying at the beautiful Green Valley Ranch Resort & Spa in Henderson, NV, just outside of Vegas. (See pics above). Really a place up my alley and takes me back to the Mandarin Oriental and Greenbrier days. My hey-day. I used to sing at the Oriental in Bangkok during the winter and the Greenbrier in WV in the summer... 3 years in a row. It totally spoiled me! Hmmm...I could really go for a massage this week, too. Wonder if my client gets a discount? The last pic is one of the spa and is calling my name LOUD and CLEAR. I may have to see what I can do! :-)

All of this doesn't heal the void in my heart right now, but it IS a pleasant distraction and just what I needed. Will post again this weekend when I get back. Have a great week!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Fun! You definitely should spend some time in the spa - you've earned it.

rosemary said...

Have fun! You will do a great job and they will love you!!

Ellie said...

Have a blast! Looks beautiful! Wish I were there! :)

Glen and Andrea said...

Congratulations, it sounds (and looks) like lots of fun. Happy spa-ing =)

Mireille said...

Wow, this is a well deserved mini vacation. Enjoy my friend!!

Sharon said...

WOW, looks amazing! Have Fun!

Julie said...

Have fun and enjoy the Spa.
Julie