Saturday, May 2, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Sad. Touching. Beautiful. Heart-wrenching. A story that had to be told, but not for the faint of heart. I cried through much of it, but couldn't tear myself away from it either. It was really well done and at one point Jeff says, honey, it's a movie! But it's NOT just a movie. It's a Hollywood version of the real suffering so many have to endure! And if this is the movie version, can you imagine how bad it is in real life? My heart aches for all those children living in slums across the globe. I have more resolve than ever to make a difference in some way.

Sorry for another down post, but I had to talk about it and a disturbing conversation I had with someone the same night. I was making dinner and went out on the patio to admire my newly planted flowers. My neighbors daughter (who's in her in her 40's, and should know better) was out in the yard and came over to look at our pond. She has some baby Koi fish to share and wanted to see how big it was. We were concerned that maybe our pond was too small to take on a fast growing fish like Koi. Jeff gave the pond a good cleaning last weekend. He was so excited to get it ready for Ruby so she can have little fishies to look at this Summer. Well, now she may not even see them till Fall, but at the time we thought she'd be home soon.  We both were excited to hurry and get fish in there.

So we are standing there talking and having a nice chat when her Dad (our sweet neighbor) calls our house to say they are eating dinner soon. Jeff hollers out the message to us. I say, yea, I have to get in, too because I am making us some good Indian food tonight and we are watching Slumdog Millionaire....it's supposed to be a really good film, etc. (Special note: I found out this is NOT the sort of film you want to watch while eating dinner. I couldn't even watch the beginning. I had to leave the room and Jeff told me when it was okay to come back in).  Anyway, her next comment just FLOORS me. She says, "oh, well, there's a child for sale, for ya!" I was so taken aback that I just mumbled, "oh, please don't say such a thing like that!" and quickly changed the subject and went inside. OMG, was that supposed to be funny? Or does she actually think we are "buying" a child? I was horrified! 

All night long I cursed myself for not coming up with some clever comeback. I thought of calling her later, but then, again...why? You just can't explain stupid to someone who's stupid. I wouldn't want it to be weird with our neighbors either (who we just adore). We share a yard, a garden, they watch our animals, and they are like family. So I just let it go and hope she won't be stupid enough to ever say something like that in front of our child and make her feel "bought". Maybe at some point before Ruby is home, I will see her again and find the right words to say and explain it delicately. How would all of you out there in blog land handle it? I don't want to start something, but shouldn't something be said? Or is it better left alone? Maybe she wouldn't "get it" anyway. There are going to be people that come into our life that will be ignorant from time to time. Maybe I should just get used to it now. But geez, I really wish I had thought of a good comeback!

7 comments:

Ellie said...

Oh, Jen! That comment gives me chills! For now, I'd leave it alone. Just be prepared for if she ever says something like that again... now you know she's capable of doing so. Also, this incident will help you be prepared for any possible future comments from others.

We have not seen Slumdog, but definitely plan to!

Sending hugs!!!
ellie

Anonymous said...

yep, I have heard a fair few stupid things too, and lots of regrets for not getting in an educated comeback and mulled over the "if only I had said" - I agree with everything Ellie says above - sounds like best plan.
Gem
ps slumdog is indeed heartbreaking, knotted my stomach for days

rosemary said...

We recently had an extended family member say they hoped we were going to name our child "phuck thai" because they thought that would be hilarious. Yep. That's really what they said.

In moments like that it's so hard to figure out what to say because it's so awful that you almost can't imagine it's happening in real life (and not the movie version) but I've learned to just say, "That is unacceptable." and walk away. It's not very clever but it gets the job done.

Glen and Andrea said...

Firstly, our adoption agency does adoptions in India and they have told us that Slumdog Millionaire is exactly right. An accurate portrayal. Those children were not actors.

Secondly, the dumb comment thing is something I have really struggled with. We had quite a few before we travelled and have had a lot since. And I ALWAYS am caught off guard. And H is always right there too. I find it incredibly sad that I cannot protect my own son from it. I have spent many a time beating myself up later thinking I should have had a quick comeback. But I'm always so shocked/floored that nothing great comes out, just a simple answer to their question.

Don't feel bad for not expecting to hear something so stupid and not being ready. I'd love to hear if you think of anything great to say for next time.

Andrea.

Wyndee said...

You know, the "buying the baby" comment is so not funny--- BUT, my girls are always talking about how much babies cost. Obviously, they have absolutely idea about the birds & bees. Anyway, Sophie loves to tell me that I bought her ears at JCPenneys but I bought her bum at Wal-Mart. Grace, on the other hand, is partial to saying that I bought her toes at PayLess Shoe Store. Yes, I have weird kids. ;-)

Mireille said...

These kind of comments get to me all the time, and even I had my fair share of these comments, I still don't know how to answer them. Because they flabbergast you at such a moment that you can't think of something decent! But I like Rosemary's comment, and I am going to use that one for my next encounter. There are still a lot of oblivious people out there, so be prepared!

Maci Miller said...

I like Rosemary's response too! Going to try it out myself if I can actually close my gapping open jaw fast enough next time!