Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Sea Of Dora's



No, I haven't lost my mind. Well, not completely. :-) I bought these little Dora's and her male counterpart (Diego?) to take to the orphanage kids in Thailand. Been gathering stuff all year round to take and when I saw these at the grocery store today I literally cleared the shelf into my cart! Have only about 18 so I may have to pick up a few more before we go. Gotta find out how many kids are in the toddler room. I know they are supposed to be Latino/Mexican (forgive me if I am wrong here) but I thought the coloring and eyes shape were close to that of a Thai...at least more than any of the white dolls they are currently playing with. Hope that wasn't a totally odd, un "PC" thing to say... but well, the point is I liked them and thought the kids should have a doll that looks more like them to play with it. So I went for a bunch of groceries and came home with only fish, toilet paper, and a sea of Dora The Explorer dolls. hee hee. Why not? 

8 comments:

christina said...

It's a good thing you got the original Dora before they switch it out to the "tween" Dora. The original is much more appropriate for toddlers than the new one slated to come out in the fall. http://3391.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/tween-dora-the-explorer.jpg

Sorry I have not been writing or commenting... I want to say so much in terms of support but been so busy closing out the school year. Know my thoughts are with you, sending your strength. Hang in there.

Ellie said...

You're so cute! Pretty soon you'll be swimming in Dora the Explorer in your home! And you won't have to ask Diego's name, you'll KNOW it. And you'll be singing, "Where are we going?" And saying, "Swiper, no swiping! Swiper, no swiping! Swiper, no Swiping!" Good times with toddlers in the home!

You're right! Dora is hispanic, but she does look much more like our Thai children than most dolls out there! She totally could look the part! What a great find! Goes on to prove that you, Jen, CAN shop ANYWHERE!! :)

Jessica said...

Love the "Can Do" shopper spirit, Jen. I think the tiny tots will too.

Maci Miller said...

Yes, ladies, I really can shop anywhere. Sad, but true! Well, not sad if it's for the little ones!!!!

Swiper what? Guess I am going to have to tune into a little Dora and Diego and see what that is all about! :-)

Carey and Norman said...

You crack me up! You are unstoppable, but I love it!!

Thinking of you!

Sharon said...

Jen, when Jaxin is upset, he wants his nom(milk) and Dora! You must buy a dvd and have a look. It is quite educational. She speaks Spanish at times so Jaxin speaks a bit of English, Thai and Spanish!

Kam said...

Perfect! Those sweet kiddies will LOVE these dolls! Score! And Ruby will read about this one day and see this picture of a pile of dolls for her friends and know how much you loved her! Just perfect!

excitedtobeafamily said...

How fun! They will love them!