Friday, July 3, 2009

Clean, Purge, Give


Well, I did it. I went through my gown closet. Everything is in plastic and organized by color. Not so long ago I was living a dream. Singing 6 nights a week in 5 star hotels with an excuse to wear a gown every night. Sometimes I think I liked the dressing up part more than the gig! (Okay, and the nice hotels, too!) I'm a sucker for glam and LOVE any excuse to get dressed up! Well, anyway, Momma is about to live a new dream and although MORE exciting than the last, it's a job requiring only jeans and a tee shirt. Time to purge!

So what to do with all those gowns? I went through and shamefully I must admit there are like 50 of them in there. Some I hope to wear again. Some I just can't part with yet for sentimental reasons. My first big show in Atlantic City. My first gig in Thailand. Several I designed and had made in Thailand. (Pic of them below). One of them made of the Thai silk given to me as a New Year's present from the girls that worked at the bar where I sang. They all got together and presented it to me and were so excited when I walked in one night in a dress made from their gift! Decided to part with 20 of them, but really had hoped to give them to someone who will appreciate and get wear out of them. I went online to search for possible charities and found one not far from home called Cinderella Project of PA. Very cool charity and a nice lady that runs it. They loan out gowns and dresses for free to girls who can't afford a dress for prom or those who just need a dress for a special occasion. I love this idea and makes me feel better about letting go of those coveted gowns. Every girl deserves to feel like a princess for a day and go to prom! So happy I can contribute. In fact, I'm so happy about it that I'm going back through the closet today to see if I can't find a few more...

These are the ones I can't part with. The reddish pink one on the right was the one made from my gifted Thai silk. All 3 are silk and were custom made (very inexpensively!) in Thailand.

Jeff gets home today and I have a full agenda. He's been working so hard so I want to make sure he hasn't a thing to do or a care in the world this weekend. So I stocked the fridge, dropped the animals at the groomer for a good bath and hair cut and did all the errands. Even taking down all the trash - a job I usually wait for him to do. Last night I cleaned out and re-lined the pantry. Still need to mop the floors and clean out the fridge and lazy susan. It's been a 3 week process of cleaning and purging and boy, does it feel good! Donated some shoes and clothes to a local charity this week, too, so I am not the only one benefiting from all this purging. Good feeling and now all I have to do is organize my office and I am DONE. Then I just kick back and enjoy summer till we go to Thailand. Woo-hoo!

6 comments:

Kam said...

WooHoo! Isn't it fun to purge!?! You've outdone yourself! And those gowns are beautiful, bet you looked lovely in each and every one!

Sharon said...

Makes you feel good giving hey! Those gorgeous young girls who will be wearing your gowns will feel beautiful. Thanks Jen for being the caring, giving, beautiful person that you are!

Chris and Terri said...

I love it!!! Wow - that sounds like such a great charity!

I'm cleaning out today too. I have an empty closet to fill with beautiful, tiny dresses! I've only bought a handful - trying to pace myself... But they are SO darn cute, I want them all!

Ellie said...

Busy girl!!! You need to come to my house next!! :-)

Your gowns are gorgeous! I'm sure it must have felt great, giving them to such a wonderful cause!!

Megan said...

Way to go on the purging! It will feel so good to be done for Ruby! More time to play!! And it does feel good to donate to a great cuase like that, doesn't it. Those gowns are beautiful and the Thai silk ones so special!

Blessings~

Carey and Norman said...

So very excited to hear the news! I just read where you thought you would be traveling to Thailand in August. So very excited for you.

You have to keep the Thai dresses. Miss Ruby will be wearing those one day ;o)