Thursday, July 30, 2009

Happy Little Email!

Amazing how one little email can turn an ordinary morning into spectacular! This is what I got in response to an email I sent Anna 2 days ago, asking if they had a crib at the hotel:

Hi Jennifer,

We have children beds with sides measuring about 60x 100 cm, big enough for your little Mod. As you can see from pictures I took two days ago she is not a baby but a charming little lady now that can sing and dance also. When a couple from New Zealand got their little girl they bought a sitting wagon of very good quality in Nakorn si Thammarat and that one they could make like a not very heavy package and take in the air plane. May be something for you too. Little mod loves red colour and liked the tube like cakes and the milk I gave her. The book I read for them in one of the pictures is about snow white and Mod seemed to like it. We so much look forward to see you here soon. 

With love

Anna


What a wonderful update! Our Ruby loves red! Sure befits her name and it's her momma's favorite color, too! She likes to sing and dance and likes to be read to! All the things I can't wait to do with her! I already bought her a Snow White doll, but never imagined she would know who it is yet. Guess what I am taking with me to Thailand?? Now about those tube cakes...well, I guess I am learning a lot about parenting all ready. You see when we started on this path I had all these grand ideas of exactly how I would raise my daughter: No sugar till she was like 5. No TV or very little. Everything organic and green and healthy. Well, slowly I am learning to loosen up and that try as you might, you can't plan how you're going to parent. I can have plans, but have to be flexible, too. Some TV and exposure to new things is good. Going to allow it but be very selective about how much and what it is that she watches. I have some but not all wooden toys (and as Robin & Kyle once pointed out, they can make some mean weapons if not careful! LOL). And while I try to be a little green and a lot organic, I don't think a few plastic toys are going to hurt her. After all, I'm still here and we had plastic toys. As for the sugar thing....well you should see the foot long tube cake thing Ruby is holding in the pics! LOL, so much for the sugar rule! Oh, well. My daughter and her little friends enjoyed a happy day and a yummy treat and I am nothing but grateful to Anna for making it happen! Looks like just when I think I have it all figured out, I am given a sign to remind me I don't! So in addition to the patience I have learned (and who would have thought THAT could happen) I am remembering the old addage "all things in moderation!"


7 comments:

Jessica said...

So glad you're getting such great updates about Ruby. Your "new" approach to parenting is in the true spirt of Thai mai pen rai and seems like it will serve you well given the situation. I don't know what those tube cakes are, but now I have to hunt one down when i get to Thailand.

Wyndee said...

Oh Jen, you're so lucky to have all of this information about little Ruby. You'll cherish that knowledge. Of course, it's not as good as actually having Ruby in your arms, but soon..... :-)

rosemary said...

You're going to be a great mom! LOL the wooden toys do hurt but for the most part I'm hoping they're still worth it. We have some plastic stuff too though so don't beat yourself up. Once the grandparents start buying there is nothing any of us can do.

Kam said...

Yay for an update! What an angel this Anna is for you! So excited to know you got an update! Hang on, mama! You'll be there in no time!

Julie said...

Another wonderful update.She sounds so precious, especially that she likes to dance and sing. I can just imagine you dancing and singing together.
Julie

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, friends! Responding to you all today:
Julie - I can just imagine us singing and dancing, too!!!!!! I can't wait and I am just so happy... I can't even tell you how much!
Jess - LOL, I was thinking the same thing about the cakes. "Here Ruby, let Mommy try that cake out for you and see if it's any good first!"
Roses - Don't worry. I still check everything to make sure it's BPA and free of all the bad stuff and have mostly wooden toys and rag dolls, but a few plastic things have found there way in and I'm no longer freaking out about it. And yes, when family & friends start buying there is nothing you can do so I'm gonna relax about it. Mai Pen Rai!
Kam & Wyndee - thanks! We are just so grateful to know Anna. It's an incredible blessing!

dawn said...

We never say we are the best parents just that we have the best intentions!