Sunday, August 2, 2009

Music In The Making

I've been on cloud nine the last few days thinking about Ruby. How she can hear and how she likes to sing and dance! There are so many things in this world I want to share with her, and of course, music is one of them. To know she will not only hear, but also enjoy one of life's great pleasures...it makes my heart sing! On our last trip to Thailand, we bought a few very cool instruments. Honestly, I don't know what I really intended to do with them, except to hang on the wall. Now we have this beautiful child to share them with and I'm so glad we have them!

In Bangkok, we bought a mini gong. It's called Kong Mong for the "mong" sound it makes. It's hanging in my Thai powder room. Yea, I know. A Thai bathroom? What can I say? I came home with a bunch of unique things and art but had run out of decorating space!

In Chiang Mai we bought a small violin of sorts called a Saw U. We found it at Doi Suthep, a very beautiful temple up on a hill. This also is currently hanging on the wall and may just stay there for a couple years till Ruby gets older. Love how the opening is shaped like a heart!

Here is a pic I found of some girls actually playing one. I can't make music on the thing at all, LOL. Hoping Ruby has more skill with it than I!

We bought this cool xylophone at a teak factory in Chiang Mai. They call it a Ranat Ek. I'll be supervising her closely with those sticks, though, so she doesn't poke an eye out...hers or mine!
And of course, no girls music collection would be complete with out a pink percussion set and harmonica!
 
We are gonna have some serious fun around here! Bring on the noise!

4 comments:

Ellie said...

You are most definitely going to have some serious fun around there!!!! She's at the perfect age to really enjoy all those musical toys! Your little toy box/shelf is cute! A little glimpse of your playroom! :)

Jessica said...

Maybe Ruby can be your backup musician! How happy your house will sound!

Kam said...

She is going to have a ball with all of that fun stuff! And what a gift it will be for her when she is older! Kids love anything that makes noise! So you're safe there! She will have a great time with it all and you'll have as much fun watching her!

Megan said...

Great instruments, Jen!! Being a musical family ourselves we had really wanted to bring home some instruments! Didn't get to but we will next time!! You will have a blast playing those with Ruby and such a treasure for her!!

Blessings~