Sunday, July 19, 2009

Homemade Taggie & Baby Stuff

I had been thinking about how much Ruby liked the twirly ribbon on the bear we sent more than the actual bear. I showed our friends Charlsey & John her video the other day and we laughed about it again. John said his mom will go to Joanne Fabrics and buy a couple pieces of shiny/sparkly material and their daughter Ava will be entertained for an hour. Hmmmm. I got an idea. What if tied a bunch of ribbons, scarves, and things I have together like a little pom-pom? Sort of a longer, toddler verison of a taggie? I didn't have everything I needed so I went to Joanne Fabrics and collected a few little strips of fleece, tull, sparkly sheer, fringey ribbon, and a fuzzy boa. Came home and pulled it all together into this fluffy little specimen. I call it the Princess Taggie! hee hee. Hope Ruby likes it as much I liked making it for her! Here's a closer look...


We had a whole Ruby day today! It started with Jeff putting together her toy storage bins we got from The Company Store. The Land of Nod ones looked a bit nicer and were probably better quality, but the ones we got were nearly the same for a lot less money so I made a practical choice for once, LOL. We got 2 single bins and 2 double bins. All can be used alone or they are stackable. Still not sure exactly where they will call home, but we think the 2 single bins will be down in the play room and one double will go in her room. The other we aren't quite sure of yet. There was much discussion of what to do in there, how to rearrange, what we wanted to hang on the walls, etc. We're both just so excited and went shopping all day to find some cute wall hangings to make the current TV and soon-to-be play room look more kid-like. Didn't find a thing, but had fun looking. Gonna look online tonight.

Went to Target and Babies R Us also and got a bunch of things to take to Thailand with us. I was sure to check the expiration on everything so it will last a couple months. We got biodegradable/natural diapers and wipes, insect repellent wipes, purell wipes, sunscreen, Mum-Mum Rice cookies, organic snacks of all sorts and varieties. Even Goldfish-type crackers that are all natural, organic, and made from whole wheat. Yea! Everything is good and healthy! 

We had such a nice day together. I got all teary in the snack aisle, though! Have no idea why cause I'm so happy, but I guess it's just so amazing that we can finally be buying these items. I can have her soups and Annie's Naturals pastas in the pantry for when we get back. I can buy those wipes without fear of them drying out. It's really happening and it's really just about here. I am still in awe of it. I am still reeling in the news that she can hear better than we thought, that she is talking, and that we are going to be with this precious little girl in just a few weeks or a month. It's mind-blowing.

Tonight we are gonna pick up those adoption books and start reading again and also have ourselves a little Thai lesson. Fun prep-for-Ruby Day!

7 comments:

Ellie said...

Oh, Jen! Sounds like a WONDERFUL day! What a fun little project you created for her!! Oh, and the excitement of preparing your home! You'll have to post some pics! And as great as anything... to be able to purchase snacks for her for your upcoming trip to Thailand! So happy that you've arrived to this place on your journey! One helpful hint ... I recommend buying mostly snacks that are packaged in individual servings. The crackers won't stay fresh in Thailand! Even in our air-conditioned hotel room, they went stale VERY quickly! Annie's makes snack serving sized bags. Just a tip! :)

So happy for you!!! You and Jeff enjoy these precious moments! You're about to cross the finish line and begin your REAL journey... Life with Ruby Kate!!

dawn said...

This is the sort of day that makes it all feel so much more real. Have fun doing this shopping and revel in every second.
And BTW, all of us that have waited forever to bring our babies home think it is quite normal to get teary in the snack aisle.

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, Ellie! Yea, that's what I got was the individual packs by Annie's. I got bigger boxes up the fruit snacks.

rosemary said...

Oh my gosh, such fun planning!! I can't wait. I love your princess taggie. That is so cute!! I wonder if I could make a boy version?

Kam said...

What a fabulous day! I'm with ya! I get weepy over the dumbest stuff these days! Just so emotional. Our children are coming home!

Yay for Target! Can't go wrong there! I've started making lists! lol! Stuff to buy,,,stuff to bring...stuff to ask! Soooo much to do! And so thankful to be doing it!

Oh, and what a great tag idea! She will surely love it!
Have a great week mommy!

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Love the taggie you made. I am certain Ruby will have a blast checking out every single ribbon.

The treats you bought should be make her a happy camper, although Hayden would tell you that you just need a lifetime supply of Mum Mum's. She is constantly saying mama mum mum...try saying that 5 times really fast!!!

I can't wait to see your first picture as a family of 3!!!

Chris and Terri said...

Wow Jen - I'm so happy for you guys to finally being buying the stuff for the trip. It sounds like so much fun! That taggie thing is way cute! You should just start marketing those.