Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Fun

We have really made a point over the last year to do more. See our family more, travel more, when possible, and hang with our friends.  Not that we won't be able to have fun and see people with our Ruby, but we really want it to be all about her and will not have many visitors for awhile. Want to keep the shock to a minimum. The poor child will have gone through so much change. There will be no party at the airport. Definitely not a big welcome party for several months. The grandparents and immediate family will be allowed short visits after a couple weeks, but no overnights and no one else can hold her, feed her, or cuddle except us for a couple months.  After talking to a lot of families and pouring over a ton of adoption and attachment books this last year, we are trying to find the exact right balance between too many visitors and going overboard with keeping people away. I guess it will all depend on how she is doing with us. Our families have been warned and are being really supportive, but it may be tough once she is home. And who could blame them for wanting to see her? We will surely be dying to share our little darling with them, too! So I guess we see how it goes...how quickly she bonds to us and how she deals with new things. For now we are trying to be as social as possible and get in some great quality time with everyone we know and love...and keep reinterating that they may not see us for awhile!

In between our social weekends, much of the last month has been about the home and yard and getting ready for Ruby. This week was about me. Got my hair done, nails done, ran a bunch of errands, got all my groceries for this weekend, did some baking, and had some fun with friends. My friend Charlsey runs an event company and got invited to a celeb-filled launch party in NYC that we went to last night. We were just talking recently about how we love to have an excuse to get all dressed up once in awhile. Charlsey and I used to model together when we were (much) younger. Back in the days when we always had a reason to get all glam. So we drove up, had dinner with our friends,  headed to the party,  then drove back home. It was great to hang with friends and funny to watch all the 20 and 30-somethings fight for a chance to see the stars. Really, they were all these "famous for being famous" types -like reality stars - and only a couple real actors or singers. Kim Kardashian was the host. My God that girl is ITTY BITTY. Very pretty and not "curvy" like the tabloids call her. Geez, is a size 4 curvy nowadays? Hate to think where that puts me! LOL. I am inspired to diet once again... well, uh, after this weekend's cook-out, that is. Then again, I can hardly compare myself to someone half my age. And yikes, how did I get to be this age anyway? I really still think I am young, but then reality kicks in and goes "Ah, I don't think so! " LOL. Still, it was a fun night and good girlfriend time.

Charlsey, myself, Tammy, and Kimi after dinner at Sushi Samba.

The Kardashian Sisters. Don't really know much about them except they have some reality show. And that they are entirely too young and cute. LOL.

This picture is blurry, but check out the shoes! Are those not some snazzy gladiator sandals?LOVE them, but where on earth would I ever wear them? Ha, not around the farm house, that's for sure! The dress I had on has been in my closet for a year waiting for an occasion to wear it. Was so happy to have an excuse to wear it last night! Lately, Ruby is the one getting all the fashions and Mom is recycling what's in the closet. And now that it's cleaned out, I actual know what I have in there!

Off course, our night wouldn't have been complete without a picture on the red carpet. This is Jamie (Charlsey's business partner), Charlsey, myself, and another friend of theirs outside the event.

I so love my girls nights and I love NY, but the best part is coming home to my quiet house, being greeted by my cat and dog who act like they haven't seen me for a year, and then snuggling up next to the hubby. Ah, there's no place like home.

7 comments:

christina said...

I don't know what you are talking about, you look pretty small and lithe to me. I wanna know where that would put me! Lol.

Maci Miller said...

Christina you are a trip! I thank you but let's just say I am not near as thin as I used to be! Thank God for the wrap dress! Had to watch all night that my Spanks didn't stick out - LOL!

Jessica said...

Fun, Jen. Glad you're glamming up the days as you count them down! You're making this summer everything it should be - a perfect summer, Ruby-made.

Kam said...

Looks like you had a much needed ladies nite! You looked beautiful!

Ellie said...

What fun!!!! Glad you're enjoying your summer! It's going by way too fast!

Maci Miller said...

I wouldn't say TOO fast, Ellie! Thanks everyone for the nice comments! Having a great summer, but can't wait to be in Thailand!!!

rosemary said...

What a fun night! You look beautiful!!