Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Reality

My baby needs her Momma. She needs us to be there. She needs to be held and loved. To be coddled when she is scared/tired/happy/sad/sick. Her crib is old. There is paint chipping off all over. Praying it's not lead paint. The walls behind the crib look dirty. It's the first part of the place I've seen that looks dirty and it is the room she sleeps in. The room is sparse. Clean floor, but tattered cribs and nothing to look at. At least it is light and airy and painted pink. There are no personal items in the cribs. The toys are kept up and the children had no real reaction to seeing them until someone made a fuss. She looks tired and has a runny nose. I am not there to wipe it. My heart is breaking as I pour over the new pics sent to me tonight. Not that I am not grateful. I truly am. She looks so sweet and it's amazing to have so many pictures of her. The kindness of this mom to spend time with the children, take pictures, and hold them and play with them...it is an incredible gift. 

But this Momma is emotional tonight. Working on my CD project and blog have been a good distraction - as was our family weekend. But this sad, nagging feeling has been lurking underneath the last few days. Been fighting it with all my might, but the pics just sent me over the edge and then burst the dam that has been building up. I think I get into denial mode at times. I see good news and say, "Well, of course, we are getting some too!" I see pics of my daughter in cute dresses (and obviously prepped for visitors) and I think "Oh, it's not that bad! She's okay. She is getting such great care! And look how clean it is!" Then I get pics that snap me back to reality. She is in an orphanage. It's not home. It may be (mostly) clean but it is not warm and fuzzy. The kids don't know how to play with a ball. How heartbreaking is that? The nannies do a good job with the necessities, but it is all they can do to get the kids through their daily routine. There is no time carved out for ball playing.

I know there is a light at the end of this tunnel. For our daughter will not live this way for long. I pray the end of her wait is soon in sight. And ours. We still have no TWIMC letter and the USCIS BKK office still has not received our updated home study - even though the National Visa Center said they cabled it to them July 20th. I know these things will work out but tonight I am just sad. I am sad for my baby that needs a hug right now and the Mom that needs to give it so bad.

10 comments:

Ellie said...

I'm RIGHT there with you, Jen! "Reality" is right. I've said those things to myself, too. "Yea, she lives in an orphanage, but it's a GOOD one." That update made me so sad! My baby with those silent tears... Tears that aren't used to being comforted. Ugh!

It won't be long, Jen... You're SO CLOSE to travel! Hang in there! You'll soon be there to wipe Ruby's nose and give her all the hugs and kisses you've been storing up!!!

Love you,
Ellie

rosemary said...

Jen,
My heart is with you and Jeff and Ruby! What a difficult day for you. We are going to keep putting out all our prayers and positive thoughts for your family - this wait has become so heartbreaking!

Jessica said...

Oh Jen. I'm sorry. Wish I had something helpful to say, but I don't. So, prayers for you and Ruby today.

Soon, soon, soon, Ruby will be home. And every runny nose you get to wipe, every toy that you step on in the middle of the night, will be that much more precious. SOON!

It's Mother's Day in Thailand today. Happy Mother's Day.

Nichole and Craig said...

Hi Jen, I am praying that you get your travel news soon. It has to be right around the corner you, Jeff and Ruby have waited long enough.

I will be praying for you
Nichole

Kam said...

Oh, Jen. I'm so sorry. Sorry that you are feeling what all great mamas feel when their babies need them. It'd be sad if you didn't feel this way. So if you can, try to embrace it as part of way God wired women to be a mommy. You can hate the feelings you have about whether her surroundings being substandard. But hold fast to the feelings that you are her protector and defender and that the "mama bear" in you wants to swoop in and care for her. It's a beautiful miracle that we become a mommy...and you are experiencing those pains that so many of us feel. It will be okay! She will come home!!! And you will be such a great mommy to this sweet little girl.

Lots of love and prayers for you this week~

Nadine, Conn & Suri said...

Hi Jen and Jeff,

Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad day...its sad and our little Suri has a crib with the same conditions as you describe..I just keep thinking about the room she will have and likr Ruby Kate...her room is just beautiful, she will be a fairy princess in there....think about all the good that you guys will do for her and how much that will help. Hang in there...its hard and I keep telling myself the same thing everyday....

You are going to be such a wonderful momma and tears just help get through the next day, stay strong...EVERY DAY HOLDS THE POSSIBILITY OF A MIRACLE....thats the quote we have above Suri's bed and one that we try to live by.

Nadine

dawn said...

The down days are just so hard, so very very hard. It truly is not fair that it can this long. She has a family so why oh why isn't she in her mummy and daddys arms.
Sending her mummy a hug and a shoulder to cry on.
love me

Megan said...

I remember that feeling so well, Jen. Our last update pics of Jet right before travel there was no smile on his face. It broke my heart. It is so hard as Mamas (and Daddies) to be naturally inclined to take care of our children in that way and not be able to for a VERY LONG TIME. So very unnatural. You, Jeff and Ruby will be so blessed when this journey is over and the next one begins. God is using this time to prepare you all for the next journey. Yet I know it is hard to understand His ways. I have been there, done that!
I am praying for that silly paperwork part to be over soon.

Blessings and big {{HUGS}}

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

This is the hardest part of the wait...when you are waiting for word to GO!!! I know those updates are very hard, and later down the road it will be Ruby Kate's link to her past, but you are right to keep your chin up and tell yourself that the nannies are doing the best they can do with what they have and she will be home soon for you to do everything for her. I think there are so many programs out there where you don't get updates, and that makes me a bit sad for the parents to be...because I think they make their child's surroundings better in their mind then what they really are, and that does not allow them to really address the needs their child will have when they come home. Like learning to play, learning to eat in moderation, learning to love and be loved. These things are heartbreaking, but they are things you will be able to overcome because you know that is what Ruby needs from you!!! I know that is not the pep talk you were wanting, but from a BTDT mommy I am so grateful that I knew, so that I was that much more prepared when she came home.

I can't wait for you to get that girl of yours home where she belongs, and I can't wait to see that first picture of you as a family of 3!!!

Mireille said...

Oh Jen, I feel for you and hope that today is a better day for you. I wish I could come over and give you a big hug! Hang in there my friend! Love, M